No announcement yet.

Creative Gives In, They Open-Source Their X-Fi Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I returned my XFI, 2 days after buying it.

Comment

Question

On the creative download site, it asks you to agree to a EULA before downloading the x-fi source driver. I refuse to agree to this EULA. Is there any way I can download it without agreeing?

Comment

The EULA is full of shit, the driver is GPL. You'll notice it is when you look in its contents. Besides, you bought an X-Fi, I'm sure you already agreed to the EULA at least once.

Comment

You don't have to agree to the EULA. You just have to click the "Agree" button. Clicking an "Agree" button and really agreeing are two different things

Comment

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but can anyone give an update how X-Fi support is going in the .31 kernel? I haven't seen anything about it in the recent changelogs.

Comment

Originally posted by KhaaL View Post
              Sorry for reviving an old thread, but can anyone give an update how X-Fi support is going in the .31 kernel? I haven't seen anything about it in the recent changelogs.
              I am not 100% sure, but I think I've heard that it is supported since Linux 2.6.31-rc3.

Comment

It has been working for me out of the box, no problems. I think even since rc1. Except the front panel doesn't work just like with all the other X-Fi linux drivers

never buy anything from Creative.

Comment

Originally posted by EmbraceUnity View Post
                  It has been working for me out of the box, no problems. I think even since rc1. Except the front panel doesn't work just like with all the other X-Fi linux drivers

never buy anything from Creative.
                  yeah i can also confirm that its worked OOTB with me too in karmic. however, i just installed 2.6.31-rc4 in jaunty and it got me nowhere. is there something more to the kernel that ubuntu has added in karmic than the vanilla kernel?

Comment

I'm an Ubuntu user and I've been using my onboard Realtek ALC883. I'm considering getting an X-Fi XtremeGamer. Am I likely to notice much of a difference?

I don't play games much (obviously) -- I want the card for music. AFAIK, the interesting features of X-Fi cards (entertainment/gaming modes, EAX, crystalizer) are not available under Linux, so I wonder if the sound of the "vanilla" configuration is really any better than what I currently have.

I'm not much of an audiophile, but I do own a decent pair of headphones (Sennheiser PX100) and notice a huge difference between them and the stock earbuds that come with audio players.

Thanks.

EDIT: My question may not be directly related to the thread's subject, but I found no other forum/thread dealing with this, so I thought I'd give it a try anyway.
                    Last edited by cybcode; 14 August 2009, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cybcode View Post
                      I'm an Ubuntu user and I've been using my onboard Realtek ALC883. I'm considering getting an X-Fi XtremeGamer. Am I likely to notice much of a difference?

I don't play games much (obviously) -- I want the card for music. AFAIK, the interesting features of X-Fi cards (entertainment/gaming modes, EAX, crystalizer) are not available under Linux, so I wonder if the sound of the "vanilla" configuration is really any better than what I currently have.

I'm not much of an audiophile, but I do own a decent pair of headphones (Sennheiser PX100) and notice a huge difference between them and the stock earbuds that come with audio players.

Thanks.

EDIT: My question may not be directly related to the thread's subject, but I found no other forum/thread dealing with this, so I thought I'd give it a try anyway.
                      If you just listen to music then your onboard would probably sound better. Im not sure what benefit there would even be to the gamer in linux, i dont think many games support hardware acceleration anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X