Fedora 12 vs. Ubuntu 9.10 Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
    How annoying I find those fake hyperlink word ads.

can't move the mouse around without an explosion of ajax ads. Reminds me to only view this site in lynx or the like.
    Premium can solve that for you: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=phoronix_premium
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Threading issue?

Since in the first benchmark Fedora is almost exactly twice as fast as Ubuntu, could it be some kind of threading issue? I.e. fedora excuting two threads and ubuntu only one?

It seems a strange coincidence that they differ by a factor of almost exactly 2. How does this benchmark work?

Comment

Is compositing enabled on Fedora?

It's hard to tell from the screenshot, but I don't see any shadows around the windows on Fedora. If there is no composite manager running on Fedora, that would give OpenGL applications an advantage on Fedora compared to Ubuntu, which has Compiz running by default.

Comment

Originally posted by fxkuehl View Post
          It's hard to tell from the screenshot, but I don't see any shadows around the windows on Fedora. If there is no composite manager running on Fedora, that would give OpenGL applications an advantage on Fedora compared to Ubuntu, which has Compiz running by default.
          Aren't the gaming benchmarks run in fullscreen mode? In which case I hope Compiz gets stopped or at least doesn't interact.

Comment

Compiz still runs while in fullscreen mode. When you do the final benchmark with the final release of Fedora 12, make sure you have compiz disabled in Karmic by turning desktop effects to none. I think that is why Fedora performed so much better than Ubuntu when it came to OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by natewiebe13 View Post
              Compiz still runs while in fullscreen mode.
              That seems stupid! After all it's only use is when you're at the desktop right?

BTW I did a quick test: running WoW with and without desktop effects, on my Fedora11. That didn't change the frame rate at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
                That seems stupid! After all it's only use is when you're at the desktop right?

BTW I did a quick test: running WoW with and without desktop effects, on my Fedora11. That didn't change the frame rate at all.
                Hmm.. That's strange, but my guess is because it has to do with Wine. I just ran the standard (glxgears -fullscreen) on an old computer of mine. I'm running Ubuntu Karmic with an nVidia 7600GS and the nVidia 185 Drivers from the repositories. With effects set to standard (Compiz), I average at around 68 FPS, if I turn off Comiz by setting effects to none, I average 228 FPS. So there is definitely a chance that the reason Fedora benched higher was because Comiz was still enabled.

Comment

I definitely see the same as you for glxgears (5000 vs 2500 fps).
                  One more reason to not use Compiz

I wonder why it doesn't impact Wine...

Comment

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
                    I definitely see the same as you for glxgears (5000 vs 2500 fps).
                    One more reason to not use Compiz

I wonder why it doesn't impact Wine...
                    glxgears is not a benchmark, it draws to many frames so that any overhead has a great impact on it.

Real apps should not be affected, also compiz has an option to unredirect fullscreen windows i.e leave them alone so it does not have any effect on them at all.

Comment

The question here was not to measure exactly the impact of compositing by using glxgears, but to see there is an impact.

All we need to know is whether Michael left compiz on when running the gaming benchmarks.

Comment

Working...
                      X