Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x265: Open-Source H.265/HEVC Video Encoder

Phoronix: x265: Open-Source H.265/HEVC Video Encoder

There's x264 for H.264 video encoding, but now an "x265" project has been started to ship an open-source library for H.265/HEVC video encoding...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news! Hopefully it lives up to the quality implied by its name.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
      Great news! Hopefully it lives up to the quality implied by its name.
      x254 crew showed that they could produce highest quality code (and assembler), so if same people will do this, it have bright future... UNLESS

VP9

Which (as codec) do not need to worry so much about avoiding patents (all those SEP patents claimed in h265...), and hence something that could advance quicker. If not in development measurement per se, then at least it will be easier for Google to gather enough support from 3rd parties. (x265 crew would need to convice others that they do not really need to pay those licenses... Or convice them that royalty free VP9 is not soo good...)

Comment

Well, I guess I should be happy that an open source h265 codec is to be developped.
        But why do I have the bad feeling that someone is capitalizing on the fame of "x264" while not being related to the x264 development team? Because it seems to me that this code is produced by a completely different team and, although they're probably in their own right to do so, I find it not particularly tasty from them to choose "x265" as name for their codec, which could imply a filiation between the two that does not really exist, does it?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: x265: Open-Source H.265/HEVC Video Encoder
          MultiCoreWare has published the initial code to x265, an open-source project forming around the H.265 / HEVC video codec that was approved back in January. H.265 High Efficiency Video Codec is the H.264 successor and is intended to accomodate larger screen resolutions with 8K UHD resolutions up to 8192 x 4320 and it also doubles the data compression ratio of H.264.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQxODY
          Fixxed. s/H.265/H.264/

Comment

You'd think otherwise by the name, but x264 people aren't involved in this in any form.

Somebody just tried to get attention by naming his encoder after x264.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalles View Post
              You'd think otherwise by the name, but x264 people aren't involved in this in any form.

Somebody just tried to get attention by naming his encoder after x264.
              I don't see the problem with that, after all h.265 is an upgrade to h.264 so the same applies x265 an upgrade to x264 it doesn't matters who developed it... geez

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                I don't see the problem with that, after all h.265 is an upgrade to h.264 so the same applies x265 an upgrade to x264 it doesn't matters who developed it... geez
                I think the problem people have is with the 'x' prefix. h.264 is a video standard, whereas x264 is a specific encoder developed by a specific team. At a casual glance one might think that x265 is developed by the x264 developers and the x264 developers themselves might have wanted to develop an independent h.265 encoder with the same name.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                  I think the problem people have is with the 'x' prefix. h.264 is a video standard, whereas x264 is a specific encoder developed by a specific team. At a casual glance one might think that x265 is developed by the x264 developers and the x264 developers themselves might have wanted to develop an independent h.265 encoder with the same name.
                  Indeed. But ultimately, screw HEVC.

We'll survive on vp9, which supposedly isn't bad at all, until Daala obsoletes them both.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Shikari
                    MultiCoreWare's project is being made with the (very tentative) blessing of the x264 team. Unlike the others, as far as I know, it will actually be based on x264's source and algorithms and be a publicly developed open source project (e.g. something I could/might commit to).

In other words, it exists as an open source project because I said "yes" to it

Which is basically the lead x264 Developer.

Comment

Working...
                    X