No announcement yet.

Another example of AMD's bad opengl support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now, talking about ATI, I think they've been really trying hard (much harder than I thought) to get out-of-box FOSS driver support on Linux. Hope they can keep this way (I've been waiting for H264/VP8 HW video acceleration within the OS driver ).

About fglrx, I've been using it since it started to support Compiz, and since 2006, and so far, no major "showstopper" bugs.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
      According to this page (see known issues):

Unigine Heaven benchmark's hardware tesselation works badly on AMD/ATI cards using OpenGL as renderer. DirectX 11 tesselation on AMD cards work as expected. Very interesting...
      That's why: OpenGL is worst than Dx11, expecially with tesselation.

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
        What I don't like about these forums ( this section mainly ) is the bitching about AMD/ATI and FGLRX support and the nvidia 'fanbois' telling me i should get a nvidia card - I really don't care for this as I have an ATI card. There seems to be very little in the way of device help/tweaking/tinkering and a hell of a lot of bashing of the AMD/ATI brand because of their 'poor GNU/Linux support'.
        I will agree that the FGLRX isn't on a par with nvidia at the moment but great strides have been made especially with the 10.12 catalyst driver - I have just played fallout new vegas via wine flawlessly as a matter of fact it runs better than in windoze - so respect to the FGLRX developers they're going in the right direction and putting the effort in! so I feel a little more appreciation of their work and feedback isn't too much to ask - if you don't have an AMD/ATI card then why comment? I don't even read the VIA graphics section of these forums because I don't have a VIA card.
        For me AMD made me very happy by releasing the specifications for their range of cards which allows for much easier development of free drivers - this alone made me want one not the performance on whatever application.

P.S. nvidia blobs aren't all that they're made out to be - hence I switched from nvidia to AMD/ATI - at least there is hope of an free driver!

EDIT: rant over - you're all naughty boys and girls!
        simple: nvidiots must deflect blame for not supporting a company that helps developing open source drivers. Because they are deeply ashamed of themselves they attack AMD whereever they can.
        Of course, most of the crap they write is just that: crap.

Comment

I wouldn't be that harsh but sometimes I got the feeling there's some astroturfing going on here.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
            I'm only seldomly using my laptop with an nvidia card (which is run by the nvidia blob) and there's still this text-corruption bug when scrolling with browsers (especially firefox if I still remember correctly - due to glyphcache (?))

this is now almost 1-2 years later
            No no no no no. That was probably just a dream. NVIDIA is perfect and AMD sucks remember?

I would really like to know why the nvidia fanatics keep bashing on AMD/ATI(1). I mean, they don't just recommend nVIDIA hardware or praise the video acceleration when asked about it. No, they go to the trouble of posting shit on the AMD/ATI forums every chance they get. They even come up with false/old problems to demonstrate just how bad AMD is. I don't see the AMD/ATI fanatics going over to the nvidia forums to talk trash about nvidia. But maybe that's because I don't pay much attention to those forums. Does that happen?

(1) It's probably one of those primitive group protection instincts by attacking the "enemy tribe".

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
              I don't see the AMD/ATI fanatics going over to the nvidia forums to talk trash about nvidia. But maybe that's because I don't pay much attention to those forums. Does that happen?
              Last time I checked these were linux forums. You see just as much crap being thrown in the Nvidia threads.

Comment

i think ati has suffered such a bad rep, for such a long time in the linux community that will take a while - a long while - and pristine drivers before it can start to recover. any misstep, bad benchmark or regression is still, and will still be for the foreseeable future, be met with hostility.

no matter how good the new philosophy and drivers have gotten, this is what you get for taking a dump on linux users for so many years.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Last time I checked these were linux forums. You see just as much crap being thrown in the Nvidia threads.
                  Remember Mark Shuttleworth talking about "the enemy within"? The whole fanATIc/nVidiot thing is simply childish.

Originally posted by pedepy View Post
                  any misstep, bad benchmark or regression is still, and will still be for the foreseeable future, be met with hostility.

no matter how good the new philosophy and drivers have gotten, this is what you get for taking a dump on linux users for so many years.
                  This is really something that every single hardware manufacturer out there should always keep in mind, because they seem to be forgetting that their boss will always be the customer and they're never gonna make it too far when shitting on the heads of potential customers, no matter how insignificant they seem to be at the moment.
                  And considering that average UNIX user tends to be a geek with very significant influence on many other ICT consumers, alienating this kind of people is really stupid and short-sighted?

Comment

Working...
                  X