Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenCL 1.1 Specification Released

Phoronix: OpenCL 1.1 Specification Released

The OpenCL 1.0 specification was released a year and a half ago, but now it has been superseded by the OpenCL 1.1 specification...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, it's kind of sad that the OS drivers don't have support for it, but does it really matter, at least at the moment? I mean, is there really anything that take advantage of OpenCL? With OS drivers still not supporting OpenGL 3(nor 4), without good acceleration for video playback(at least not for my r700) and with rather poor performaces for those still without a working Gallivm3D driver(in particular after the KMS switch), IMO the OpenCL support should be at the very last position on the OS drivers' TODO list.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterIO View Post
      Well, it's kind of sad that the OS drivers don't have support for it, but does it really matter, at least at the moment? I mean, is there really anything that take advantage of OpenCL?
      I imagine there are a lot of people who'd like to tinker around with OpenCL programming without having to use a closed-source driver.

Anyone know if there's a software fallback (i.e. OpenCL on the CPU) in case your GPU or drivers don't support it?

Comment

Strongly disagree.
        Not even even everyone can take advantage of vdpau for example(my nvidia GTS 8800 cannot!!!), but anyone who has more or less descent video card could take major speed boost from implemented OpenCL, I can't wait to see implementation of it...

Comment

Originally posted by chaos386 View Post
          I imagine there are a lot of people who'd like to tinker around with OpenCL programming without having to use a closed-source driver.

Anyone know if there's a software fallback (i.e. OpenCL on the CPU) in case your GPU or drivers don't support it?
          Go to www.amd.com and download our Stream SDK. It provides OpenCL support for both CPU and GPU.
          Test signature

Comment

I haven't tested CPU-based OpenCL with open source graphics drivers but it should work based on what I remember of the design.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
              Strongly disagree.
              Not even even everyone can take advantage of vdpau for example(my nvidia GTS 8800 cannot!!!),
              Can't support something that physically isn't there.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Go to www.amd.com and download our Stream SDK. It provides OpenCL support for both CPU and GPU.
                That's closed-source as well though. I'd imagine that someone who refuses to use proprietary graphic-drivers to get OpenCL would also be reluctant to use a proprietary software-implementation.

Comment

Agreed, but (a) I wasn't aware of any open source OpenCL-on-CPU implementations, and (b) at least this would allow chaos386 to stay with the open source graphics drivers (probably).
                  Test signature

Comment

MisterIO wrote: Well, it's kind of sad that the OS drivers don't have support for it, but does it really matter, at least at the moment? I mean, is there really anything that take advantage of OpenCL?

Folding@home will soon be using OpenCL - see http://folding.typepad.com/news/2010...-or-later.html and http://folding.typepad.com/news/2010...st-update.html

Comment

Working...
                    X