The Open-Source ATI Driver Is Becoming A Lot Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    While you're right and of course it should work, you're adding one more layer of problems since VM OpenGL and D3D support is very lacking and a work in progress. I tried VMWare's 3D acceleration not too long ago and it wasn't even close to being totally implemented and fully functional.

So, in short, to make sure problems you're experiencing aren't problems with the VMware 3D graphics layer, I would think anyone would want you testing drivers natively. Apps just utilizing the CPU and such, sure, VMs are fine for general testing, but 3D graphics?? AFAIK I don't think that's the preferred testing method...
    I think you misunderstood me. VMWare is a native application. It uses the native 3D driver on my native Linux install on my native graphics card. Inside VMWare, I run Windows 7. But that doesn't matter to the Linux driver. All that matters is that VMWare uses OpenGL.

Comment

I Want Vincent Banned From This Forum Forever

Dear Michael.

If you do not ban Vincent from this forum forever, I will have no hesitation in contacting your provider, godaddy, and asking them to pull this site.

You are clearly unable to control the people here. Make no mistake, allowing that sort of disgraceful CRAP is not only irresponsible, it is also illegal in the US.

Also, fully expect to be contacted by disabled rights organizations and the FBI if you fail to comply.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        Do you call S3TC a special use case?
        How long since R600g will gain full S3TC support via libtxc_dxtn.so like R300g?
        I love the radeon driver too, but I have to admit we are far from an usable driver.
        I am sure you'd already have S3TC if it wasn't patented. Paid developers care very little about patented features because such features are of no use to their employers and may be even dangerous. I guess all you can do is to kindly ask some unpaid developer to implement it for you. Or wait for a miracle. Or don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by gordboy View Post
          Dear Michael.

If you do not ban Vincent from this forum forever, I will have no hesitation in contacting your provider, godaddy, and asking them to pull this site.

You are clearly unable to control the people here. Make no mistake, allowing that sort of disgraceful CRAP is not only irresponsible, it is also illegal in the US.

Also, fully expect to be contacted by disabled rights organizations and the FBI if you fail to comply.

Comment

Dear Michael.

This is fun, lol

Comment

But this don't explain why r300g can S3TC and not the r600g (Manpower excluded).

Comment

Dear Michael.

O my GOOD, and when you think about world is full with guys like him. Who are you Hitler?

Comment

I just wanted to write something reasonable here to calm down the flamewar but apparently that flamewar got out of control beyond reason.

@gordboy
                  Threatening phoronix media with legalese stuff is surely not the way if you happen to have a problem with other users. Ignore them and they will ignore you. Go different ways and keep distance.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Trolls do not want to calm down, please stop feeding him.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                      And so? It can be delivered as an external library and I can use it because I live in Europe, where's the problem?
                      The library is not enough, you still need to hack/reverse-engineer parts of the hardware.

This was done for older hardware, but not for r600+, the way I understand. That's why there's no support yet.

Check it out here: http://radeonhd.org/?page=archive_di...10&d=2010-9-12

MostAwesomeDude: Revan199: They cannot legally provide certain information to the community.
                      MostAwesomeDude: Specifically, anisotropic filtering, S3TC formats, MPEG formats, video decoding, and possibly the various firmware stuff.

So yes, blame patents for not having S3TC. That part still needs to be reverse-engineered.

Comment

Working...
                      X