Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An instance of what the games industry has become...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damm my career orientation courses!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
      ROFLMAO!

In truth, it's not as bad as it sounds- the problem lies in that people have HIGHLY unrealistic expectations of a LOT of things these days. All the way around on everything, whether you're an employee somewhere, an employer, or one of the consumer crowd.

Right now, I'm just tired beyond description of dealing with people that claim the moral high ground with the GPL and Linux, but yet don't seem to give a tinker's damn about anyone else's rights because 'it's not a guaranteed sale' and 'information wants to be free' and other crap. It gets old when people go and take a copy of something that they technically didn't have rights to but yet get pissy when someone does the same thing with the GPL/LGPL they get their panties in a wad.

Comment

Doesn't matter what job you get they nearly all suck in the end.

Comment

Really? So the computer science field is that soul draining and pathetic as slave work? Damn, I think im gonna switch majors to investment banking then. Well, what i really want to do is design levels, and design new gameplay too. Mostly creative work.
          I don't mean to put the course in a negative light, but I've seen in slave culture cultivate in many companies (even though some of them vehemently deny its existence). Computer science has its own perks and there is a sense of fulfillment, but in the software industry, you are often beaten to the ground and left drained like a used whore thrown to the streets.

Developers are always the unsung heroes. They are the ones that toil the hours in the midst of twilight. Each with his own aspirations but become truly lost in the run up to deliver unrealistic deliverables drawn in unrealistic time lines, and unrealistic expectations in a very much maligned environment.

For me, I still do development, but I believe I've found my sweet spot. If you love your what you do, treasure it.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the great replies. I do hope i find some sort of sweet spot too. Yea, maybe its the unrealistic expectations, perhaps i should lower mine. And I had already done that when i began school. Still, i want to be somehow in the game industry. Maybe in a more creative way, but in nonetheless.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the great replies. I do hope i find some sort of sweet spot too. Yea, maybe its the unrealistic expectations, perhaps i should lower mine. And I had already done that when i began school. Still, i want to be somehow in the game industry. Maybe in a more creative way, but in nonetheless.
              Amen. I hope to start school for game dev later this year, and back out in 2 years, getting a job at Blizzard.

... no one pop this bubble I have, k?

Comment

Originally posted by me262 View Post
                Amen. I hope to start school for game dev later this year, and back out in 2 years, getting a job at Blizzard.

Aww... *puts pin away*

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
                  Aww... *puts pin away*
                  Pin???

<*putting away the Barett .50 cal...*>

(Hey, there is no "overkill", only "Open Fire" and "I need to reload"...per Rule 37 from over at Schlock Mercenary )

Comment

Originally posted by me262 View Post

BTB, as long as VU allows them to operate the way they have been, things should be "decent" over there at Blizzard. I would just watch myself if it were me- and never, ever give 'em ANYTHING without paying for it somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      Pin???

<*putting away the Barett .50 cal...*>

(Hey, there is no "overkill", only "Open Fire" and "I need to reload"...per Rule 37 from over at Schlock Mercenary )
                      Been playing a lot of cod4 lately, havent ya?

Comment

Working...
                      X