Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's 2.7 Graphics Driver Still Has Problems

Phoronix: Intel's 2.7 Graphics Driver Still Has Problems

Last night Intel pushed out the xf86-video-intel 2.7.0 driver, but still it does not correct some of the performance regressions that have been occurring within the Intel Linux graphics stack for the past few months. While there are UXA improvements in the 2.7 driver, the performance is still bad. Continuing on from our benchmarks yesterday where we looked at the greedy migration heuristics performance and early Linux 2.6.30 benchmarks, we have tested out the xf86-video-intel 2.7.0 driver with the Linux 2.6.30-rc2 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd like to see the same series of tests run on the primary development target for the intel driver: G965 (GMA X3000) and later. Any chance for that to happen?

Comment

There is a fuck-up with how OpenGL games and applications are accounted for by the Linux cpu clock control stuff.

That is unless you go and manually set your CPU to run at full speed then performance for games will be crippled. The cpu schudaler is not accounting for graphics

For example on my Inpsiron 1420n with GMA X3100 graphics and Fedora 11 beta I am running 'ManiaDrive'. With the default 'ondemand' I get between 40 and 90 FPS. With both cores set to 2.0ghz I get 120-150 fps.

The difference is night and day.

Comment

Table on page http://global.phoronix-test-suite.co...74-10432-20657 doesn't display correctly in Opera.

Why are you using some div-hell:
        Code:
        <div class="pts_column_four1" style="width: 11.5%;">EXA</div><div class="pts_column_four1" style="width: 11.5%;">EXA Greedy</div><div class="pts_column_four1" style="width: 11.5%;">UXA</div><div class="pts_column_four1" style="width: 11.5%;">xf86-video-intel 2.4</div><div class="pts_column_four1" style="width: 11.5%;">EXAOptimizeMigration Off</div><div class="pts_column_four1" style="width: 11.5%;">Linux 2.6.30 EXA</div><div class="pts_column_four1" style="width: 11.5%;">2.6.30 + 2.7 + EXA</div><div class="pts_column_four1" style="width: 11.5%;">2.6.30 + 2.7 + UXA</div><div class="pts_profile_information" style="width: 11.5%;"><strong>Processor:</strong> Intel Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz (Total Cores:</strong> 2)<br /><strong>Motherboard:</strong> Dell Inspiron 910<br /><strong>Chipset:</strong> Intel Mobile 945GME Express Hub + ICH7-M<br /><strong>System Memory:</strong> 993MB<br /><strong>Disk:</strong> 8GB STEC PATA 8GB<br /><strong>Graphics:</strong> Intel Mobile 945GME Express IGP (rev 03)</div><div class="pts_profile_information_alt" style="width: 11.5%;"><strong>Processor:</strong> Intel Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz (Total Cores:</strong> 2)<br /><strong>Motherboard:</strong> Dell Inspiron 910<br /><strong>Chipset:</strong> Intel Mobile 945GME Express Hub + ICH7-M<br /><strong>System Memory:</strong> 993MB<br /><strong>Disk:</strong> 8GB STEC PATA 8GB<br /><strong>Graphics:</strong> Intel Mobile 945GME Express IGP (rev 03)</div><div class="pts_profile_information" style="width: 11.5%;"><strong>Processor:</strong> Intel Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz (Total Cores:</strong> 2)<br /><strong>Motherboard:</strong> Dell Inspiron 910<br /><strong>Chipset:</strong> Intel Mobile 945GME Express
        just to imitate normal HTML table element?

Comment

For proof:

here is my Fedora 11 desktop running Compiz:

Running a between 50-70 fps with that scene.

Here is the same exact scene, with no change or restart or anything at all. I just left it running and clicked on the cpu scaler applets to adjust the cpu speed:

Between 150-190 fps with that scene.

Now you can planly see that while the game is running it is not taking advantage of the CPU since the cores are running at the normal 'idle' speeds of 800mhz.

The other problem I've been having is this...

The oops is gone, but there is some sort of memory leak. I don't know exactly what is going wrong.

This is with:
          ~$ uname -r
          2.6.29.1-68.fc11.x86_64

~$ rpm -qf /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
          xorg-x11-drv-intel-2.6.99.902-2.fc11.x86_64

~$ rpm -qf /usr/lib64/dri/i965_dri.so
          mesa-dri-drivers-7.5-0.9.fc11.x86_64

Comment

Just noticed Debian has 2.7 and installed it. It's actually fixed the only real complaint I had about 2.6.3.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
              Just noticed Debian has 2.7 and installed it. It's actually fixed the only real complaint I had about 2.6.3.
              How is your 3D performance with 2.7? I'm running Debian Sid and it's been abysmal since last August.

Comment

Working...
              X