Fedora 18 Has Been Delayed Once More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    I think rolling release as as "stable" version is essentially somewhat a self contradictory request.
    Rolling release is not contradictory with stable.

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    Rolling releases are by definition very fluid
    You started right...

Rolling realeases are by definition very fluid, but they could be stable too. Rolling and stable are not mutually exclusive.

You can have rolling release, where you deploy only reviewed and tested versions of packages.
    It is costly in enterprise, because you have to test all permutation for the possible package versions, but for consumers it can actually be cheaper if you have a solid testing framework(you only support the latest package version).
    The important thing is each package should be very good tested. It shouldn't even be the latest versions, it only has to be "rolling".

Comment

Rolling Release has been present for a very log time. Now known as ....

The idea of a rolling release has its pluses and minuses. A true rolling release does not allow for major upgrades.

BUT

the equivalent to thte rolling release is the new fedora update (fedup). The purpose of fedup is to take you from fedora version x to version x+1. So essentially, you have a rolling release as a batch update.

With versions of Fedora prior to 17, you had to install and run pre-upgrade, and after rebooting, you ran postupgrade.

Now Fedup does it all

Comment

My major issues with Fedora 18 TC4 (Pre go live)

There are two problems. that are causing me grief. One is anaconda, and keyboard selection,

I have thee systems, a Desktop with the Canadian French keyboard (32bit)
        Oe system with a second Canadian French keyboard (64bit)

and a laptop with Spanish Latin America keyboard.

In the installation process, I do the installation in English, but I indicate layout of the keyboard so I can have correct mapping.
        What happens in all cases is that the virtual console does not pickup the desired keyboard. It remains as English (USA).
        For the alphnumeric characters (a-z,0-9) the mapping to keytops are the same as the English USA.
        But special characters such as #,|,euro, etc. are missing or in different locations from the virtual console.
        When in anaconda we provide the root password, I use # and ! in the password as #myrootpw! or a user logon password as first#second
        some menus in Gnome use the gnome mappings, some menus (such as asking for sudo password or root password, use the English USA layout. We have no indication of which is used where, though I find that for sudo or root, it is the English USA.

Further more, in prior Fedora versions, one could assign the euro symbol to either the level3 E key or level3 5 key. This ability is missig. One cannot enter the euro symbol as a standard keyboard character.

For me, this is a serious problem, as I deal with countries that express currencies with the Euro symbol.And to prevent dictionary hacks, I use |???@?~??{{[ and others. My latam keyboard has the euro on the E key as ? I would like to use the euro and dollar symbols in text and passwords in virtual cosole and in Gnome, KDE and cinnamon.

Firstboot uses the Virtual Console settings, But Gnome, kde use the Canadian French or Latam

Comment

Originally posted by BitRot View Post
          I was distro-hopping a lot lately and finally settled with Fedora 17 yesterday. To my surprise, Gnome Shell isn't as bad as people make it out to be. In fact, I quite like it. (Please don't hit me :-D)
          Eh, a lot of people are happy with Shell. But people who are happy with something don't tend to make as much noise as people who are unhappy...

Comment

Originally posted by erhardm View Post
            Rolling release is not contradictory with stable.

It is costly in enterprise, because you have to test all permutation for the possible package versions, but for consumers it can actually be cheaper if you have a solid testing framework(you only support the latest package version).
            The important thing is each package should be very good tested. It shouldn't even be the latest versions, it only has to be "rolling".
            While you can call it rolling, users seem to be asking for the latest versions in practice. Not merely well tested ones and testing does take more time than merely running through a test framework. Lots of things require manual testing.

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
              Best graphical installer I've ever used is OpenSUSE - really polished... I haven't bothered trying Fedora for many years - but they could certainly take a leaf out of the SUSE camp...
              Amen to that. Their installer and YaST make all the others seem crude and years behind.

Comment

as a fedora 17 user that has been anxiously awaiting for the final release I will tell it like it is:

the fedora 18 release has just been a piece of shit fail cancer.

I have never used a beta that crashed so often or fucked up so bad as f18... shit even the u13.04 alphas proved to be more stable... talking about live sessions.

The installer is a clusterfuck confusing mess that seems to want to be complicated just to be complicated (hitler himself couldn't make the partition thing more of a mindfuck)

Even willing to overlook all this shit so I can continue on with fedora now they hit you with ANOTHER FUCKING DELAY.

shit son, next week they are gonna say " yep this is pretty much a clusterfuck let's delay it for another week"

I wouldn't be suprised, ACTUALLY I WOULD BET MONEY on fedora 18 only getting a release date in february...

now let's see you are going to install a OS that you are going to use for A WHOPPING 3 MONTHS

wow shit

I sincerely doubt that many people will even bother with f18, going straight from f17 to 19

so at this point this is a major FAIL

edit: let me continue ranting:

so by february fedora 18 will arrive with the state of the art firefox 16 (most likely 2 versions behind) and kernel 3.6 (most likely with 3.8 final already out)

ubuntu 13.04 that will be released just 2 months after will already be shipping with 3.8 and firefox 18 etc... BY DEFAULT

BALL => FEDORA => DROP
                Last edited by Pallidus; 07 January 2013, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                  Eh, a lot of people are happy with Shell. But people who are happy with something don't tend to make as much noise as people who are unhappy...
                  You've hit the nail on the head!

Moving from Ubuntu to Fedora tomorrow. Adveeentuuuuuureeee!

Comment

yes because the only way to run gnome shell is to switch distro...

I mean it's not like it's possible to run gnome shell from ubunu or anything

:/

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                      as a fedora 17 user that has been anxiously awaiting for the final release I will tell it like it is:

the fedora 18 release has just been a piece of shit fail cancer.

I have never used a beta that crashed so often or fucked up so bad as f18... shit even the u13.04 alphas proved to be more stable... talking about live sessions.

The installer is a clusterfuck confusing mess that seems to want to be complicated just to be complicated (hitler himself couldn't make the partition thing more of a mindfuck)

Even willing to overlook all this shit so I can continue on with fedora now they hit you with ANOTHER FUCKING DELAY.

shit son, next week they are gonna say " yep this is pretty much a clusterfuck let's delay it for another week"

I wouldn't be suprised, ACTUALLY I WOULD BET MONEY on fedora 18 only getting a release date in february...

now let's see you are going to install a OS that you are going to use for A WHOPPING 3 MONTHS

wow shit

I sincerely doubt that many people will even bother with f18, going straight from f17 to 19

so at this point this is a major FAIL

edit: let me continue ranting:

so by february fedora 18 will arrive with the state of the art firefox 16 (most likely 2 versions behind) and kernel 3.6 (most likely with 3.8 final already out)

ubuntu 13.04 that will be released just 2 months after will already be shipping with 3.8 and firefox 18 etc... BY DEFAULT

BALL => FEDORA => DROP
                      so much fedora hate man) i just upgraded using new FedUp tool and still kept my kde-unstable.repo and practicly running no stable software, kde is rc 4.10 OS is beta and still had no crash what so ever in my daily desktop usage. and by the way my firefox version is 17 and kernel is 3.7.1 received as regular fedora updates so leave this buntu fainboys for some other time. And by the time 3.8 kernel comes out it will still be available on fedora via regural testing updates but ur buntu will still remain 6 months on same kernel. Fedora 17 install from wich i upgraded had 3.6.11 kernel up to date. I onestly thing u are frustrated that u don`t know to use fedora.

Comment

Working...
                      X