Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Releases 319.60 Certified Linux GPU Driver

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases 319.60 Certified Linux GPU Driver

To kick off a new month NVIDIA has released a new NVIDIA Linux binary graphics driver update. The first driver release of October is the 319.60 debut...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Latest ABI

I really hope it supports the latest Linux kernel and X.org Server.

Hope there is support for kernel 3.12.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I really hope it supports the latest Linux kernel and X.org Server.

Hope there is support for kernel 3.12.
      Why, something's not working with Linux < 3.12?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        Why, something's not working with Linux < 3.12?
        why would u even ask that?...
        the kernels are importante, even if the old one works dosent mean its the best or the fastest...
        with that mentality no one would upgrade windows xp or even change from windows to linux.

Anyway...
        the distro can patch the driver to work with the driver since the kernel didnt change anything the driver requires.
        if you are installing manualy you can patch it yourself

Comment

Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
          why would u even ask that?...
          Because _it_ (the borg uid313) said with a tone of desperation asking about asap support for the latest kernel, there's no need for this since it will land, and soon, anyway, it's nvidia.

Comment

Bug alert!

The newer set of linux drivers has a bug / regression in it where it will no longer work with 4 monitors. Now it only works with 3.

This is exactly why we love open source drivers. Corporate mindset is that if driver A supports 3 monitors, and driver B supports 4 monitors, then what should we do? Feature parity = downgrade driver B to 3 monitors. I am pretty confident that OSS driver developers who are ACTUALLY IN TOUCH AND CARE ABOUT THE USERS would have fixed driver A to support 4 monitors as well. Whatever it takes to serve the customer as best as we can.

Do you want to know why people distrust closed drivers and those who code them? Here it is right here. Nvidia should have chose plan b: Fix the windows driver to work with 4 monitors. Whatever it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
              This is exactly why we love open source drivers. Corporate mindset is that if driver A supports 3 monitors, and driver B supports 4 monitors, then what should we do? Feature parity = downgrade driver B to 3 monitors. I am pretty confident that OSS driver developers who are ACTUALLY IN TOUCH AND CARE ABOUT THE USERS would have fixed driver A to support 4 monitors as well. Whatever it takes to serve the customer as best as we can.
              Or more likely they would have blown up my monitors and vid card and then said, "Sorry! We're not responsible! Open source is at your own risk!"

Comment

It'd be great but...

I tried installing this on my Debian 7 rig and it promptly exploded, putting me into runlevel S for the duration of the rollback. Has anybody else had luck getting this to work on a Deb 7 64 system yet?

Comment

Working...
                X