X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    @sabriah

The script does more than you might have thought, you do not need single user mode, it kills kdm/gdm or whatever, uninstalls previous driver, installs new one and patches xorg.conf. After that X is started again. The commands I told you are just to delete the driver if you do not want to use fglrx at all.
    Possibly, but I couldn't install it from a Gnome-Terminal. There was a complaint that X interfered, or something, so I rebooted.

Comment

I'm a FireGL v5200 card owner

and I am _very_ disappointed with this release.

I'll have to wait for the December release but I'm afraid ATI/AMD will continue to ignore the FireGL userbase...

Comment

It suggests to press ctrl+alt+f1, if that does not work:

chvt 1

as root.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          It suggests to press ctrl+alt+f1, if that does not work:

chvt 1

as root.
          True, but I didn't get to chvt 1 step. I'm not sure what might be wrong with my setup, I often get messages about "hdb" and "hdc" are not ready yet (yes I do know two of my cdroms are broken, but...). Still, that stalled the installation, so I rebooted.

I run XFS, which might be extra sensitive to faulty hw?

Comment

Only had a few mins to try, but with the pci_id hack, the 7.11 driver appears to work under RHEL5.1.
            with a FireGL V5250

No Beryl/AIGLX tried yet, but suspend/resume works -- an improvement on 8.42. GLXgears looks ok.

Did have to add a DRI section with 0666 permissions into xorg.conf

Lost hotkeys.. but they were redhat specific.

Will try using "as normal" tomorrow to see if stable enough for the day job before experimenting with 3D etc.

Comment

Hmm my Xorg Server still hard freezes / crashes (same with 8.42.3) upon resuming from suspend. I have a FireGL V5200, so I don't think there's a big difference.

All I really want is working suspend and resume! Arggg

Comment

My first Post

The main two questions I have are.

1. Are they even aware of the bugs that exist in their drivers?
                2. Can they make a special release to address bug fixes that doesn't require the two month additional testing?

Is AMD a good company to work for?, I would like to apply for a job and help develop their fglrx drivers.

Comment

Hi,

Have anyone noticed that when TV-out is enabled the refresh rate goes down to 60HZ only with this new driver or it's just happening with me?

Thanks,
                  Trek1701

Comment

does this fix the slow scrolling in firefox issue?

Comment

• Why Phoronix is all the time advertising these drivers with such emphasis? All the time I read words such as "great" "the drivers had a long run" etc etc followed by hate comments.

A bit comical, isn't it?

I decided to change my ATI-based laptop a few weeks ago with an X3100 based one. True, bugs are there due also to the newness of the 965G chipset, but at least I can pull out new releases from git almost every week seeing that bugs reported to freedesktop.org get *really* fixed.

There's no reason to keep an AMD/ATI card. One of the biggest hardware companies is behaving like they don't have enough money to spend on decent developers.. hard to believe but true.
                      Last edited by lionheart; 23 November 2007, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X