Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An OpenGL Optimization Extension Merged Into Mesa

Phoronix: An OpenGL Optimization Extension Merged Into Mesa

Yesterday Mesa received support for a new OpenGL extension and after that another useful OpenGL 4.2 extension was added to Mesa and implemented within the Intel OpenGL Linux driver. This latest extension can be used for a driver performance optimization...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Funny article. The extension has actually been supported by all Gallium drivers for a very long time, but AFAIK most drivers ignore the shader output modifiers the extension provides.

Comment

Nice

There's an interesting link that shows progress related to OpenGL features for Mesa, for more curious people:

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
        Funny article. The extension has actually been supported by all Gallium drivers for a very long time, but AFAIK most drivers ignore the shader output modifiers the extension provides.
        So are you saying that even though it's been implemented for awhile must drivers don't take advantage of, what sounds to me to be analogous to early z cull but in this case it also looks to see if the fragment shader intends to alter depth relations and if it doesn't the resource is culled? Why wouldn't all drivers take advantage of that asap?

Comment

Originally posted by rudregues View Post
          There's an interesting link that shows progress related to OpenGL features for Mesa, for more curious people:
          http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/GL3.txt
          Thanks, I was just thinking about trying to find that info. Kinda depressing how many 'not started's there are, but great work by the team, keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
            Yeah, I was going to say...the core support for this has been around since 2011. It looks like i965 is the first to actually take advantage of it, though, which is surprising.

I did a quick read through the code, and it looks like everything is hooked up in st, but no drivers use TGSI_FS_DEPTH_LAYOUT_*.
            Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
            Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Hope in the end of November

Originally posted by beaverusiv View Post
              Thanks, I was just thinking about trying to find that info. Kinda depressing how many 'not started's there are, but great work by the team, keep it up.
              Well, we are very close to Mesa 10.0 and it's OpenGL 3.2 and OpenGL 3.3 support. Expected to come before December: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQ2OTU
              Then, they will be working just on OpenGL 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4.
              Last edited by rudregues; 06 October 2013, 05:26 PM. Reason: bad english :P

Comment

Is Phoronix going to have an article every time a new OpenGL extension gets added?

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                  Why wouldn't all drivers take advantage of that asap?
                  It's useful for not having to disable both HiZ/ZCULL's early pass AND early fail, but since ZCULL doesn't make much of a difference in the first place (at least for now) I don't particularly care. Last time I checked NV blob ignores this, too.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    Is Phoronix going to have an article every time a new OpenGL extension gets added?
                    Why not?

... (10 chars) ...

Comment

Working...
                    X