Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Battles Fedora 17 On Intel Ivy Bridge

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Battles Fedora 17 On Intel Ivy Bridge

As the latest tests of Fedora 17 vs. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, here are benchmarks comparing the performance of an Intel Core i7 "Ivy Bridge" system on the two distributions named Beefy Miracle and Precise Pangolin, respectively.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for this, Michael.

Two things that I'd like to see are: 1. use of rawhide rather release day f17, and 2. some power numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
      Thanks for this, Michael.

Two things that I'd like to see are: 1. use of rawhide rather release day f17
      As said in the article: "Fedora Rawhide (what will eventually be Fedora 18) was not tested though due to the debug builds used within Rawhide that adversely affects the system's performance during the pre-release stage." In the past Red Hat has just complained when I want to benchmark Rawhide...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        As said in the article: "Fedora Rawhide (what will eventually be Fedora 18) was not tested though due to the debug builds used within Rawhide that adversely affects the system's performance during the pre-release stage." In the past Red Hat has just complained when I want to benchmark Rawhide...
        I beg your pardon.

Comment

Please do software update before testing

Hi,

Thanks for these kinds of benchmarks. However I believe your Ubuntu 12.04 LTS tests with Unity 5.10 are rather misrepresentative. Both my computers with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (both 32-bit and 64-bit) are running Unity 5.12, which is probably upgraded by the normal software update process.

Therefore you should really do an online software update of all systems before testing to ensure you are not running outdated software and all the latest bug-fixes are applied. This is what most users of these systems will do and is strongly recommended.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
            Hi,

Thanks for these kinds of benchmarks. However I believe your Ubuntu 12.04 LTS tests with Unity 5.10 are rather misrepresentative. Both my computers with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (both 32-bit and 64-bit) are running Unity 5.12, which is probably upgraded by the normal software update process.

Therefore you should really do an online software update of all systems before testing to ensure you are not running outdated software and all the latest bug-fixes are applied. This is what most users of these systems will do and is strongly recommended.

Thanks.
            Unless that update was specifically for performance purposes and bugfixes, I don't think it would make enough of a difference for unity to compete better.

Anyways, tests like these show that ubuntu (at least with unity) should not be the the 1 and only distro when comparing linux to other OSes. I feel like if only 1 distro is to be used to compare to other OSes, it should be fedora with xfce. while i've barely used fedora and i particularly hate xfce, I get the impression fedora is right in the middle between the very latest releases and the stable releases (it is also in the middle of being popular and unpopular), and XFCE is right in the middle between a heavy DE and a lightweight DE; I don't care what people say, xfce does not fit the description of lightweight.

Comment

I have been using Fedora 16 with Xfce as my primary desktop, and while for the most part I like it, I certainly have to agree that it is not really lightweight anymore. Better to pass that crown to LXDE.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Unless that update was specifically for performance purposes and bugfixes, I don't think it would make enough of a difference for unity to compete better.
                Well, Michael himself explicitly states that Unity 5.12 brings important OpenGL fixes. As Ubuntu 12.04 has been updated with these fixes it is not relevant to test with an obsolete configuration. Furthermore it is indicative, that Michael did not update the systems _in general_.

However the conclusion that Unity (even in version 5.12) has worse performance than Gnome Shell is still interesting... Good to bring some light upon that!

Comment

Working...
                X