A New Game Ported To Run On Wayland/Weston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Really, SDL 1 will also be able to run on Wayland? Does that mean that UT2004 will run natively on Wayland, too?
    I don't see why not, if it doesn't depend on any X stuff. I just checked the original UT, no X stuff in sight! This could be good news, getting it to run on modern systems is a bit hit and miss at the moment.

Code:
    # readelf -d /opt/unreal-tournament/System/ut-bin /opt/unreal-tournament/System/*.so | fgrep NEEDED | sort -u
     0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [Core.so]
     0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [Engine.so]
     0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libc.so.6]
     0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libdl.so.2]
     0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libglide.so.2]
     0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libmikmod.so.2]
     0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libm.so.6]
     0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libnsl.so.1]
     0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libopenal-0.0.so]
     0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libpthread.so.0]
     0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libSDL-1.2.so.0]
     0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [Render.so]

Comment

A question if i may ...............
      GTK+ has been built with Wayland and X11 support. Wayland has xwayland for say running older GTK X11 apps. So my question is will folk now using GTK+ have to choose between wayland and X when building apps with the GTK+ toolkit ? will an app built today with GTK/wayland still work on distros sticking with X ? How does that part work?

Comment

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
        A question if i may ...............
        GTK+ has been built with Wayland and X11 support. Wayland has xwayland for say running older GTK X11 apps. So my question is will folk now using GTK+ have to choose between wayland and X when building apps with the GTK+ toolkit ? will an app built today with GTK/wayland still work on distros sticking with X ? How does that part work?
        Afaik the backend can be changed with an env var:

Originally posted by Arch Wiki
        When both Wayland and X backends are enabled, GTK+ will default to the X11 backend, but this can be overridden by modifying an environment variable: GDK_BACKEND=wayland

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
          I don't see why not, if it doesn't depend on any X stuff. I just checked the original UT, no X stuff in sight! This could be good news, getting it to run on modern systems is a bit hit and miss at the moment.

Code:
          # readelf -d /opt/unreal-tournament/System/ut-bin /opt/unreal-tournament/System/*.so | fgrep NEEDED | sort -u
           0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [Core.so]
           0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [Engine.so]
           0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libc.so.6]
           0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libdl.so.2]
           0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libglide.so.2]
           0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libmikmod.so.2]
           0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libm.so.6]
           0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libnsl.so.1]
           0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libopenal-0.0.so]
           0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libpthread.so.0]
           0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libSDL-1.2.so.0]
           0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [Render.so]
          >.> You can clearly see that the game is split up into different libraries (Core.so, Engine.so, Render.so) which do the actual work. Did you check those too?

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
            >.> You can clearly see that the game is split up into different libraries (Core.so, Engine.so, Render.so) which do the actual work. Did you check those too?
            Yep, that's what the *.so was for but it's actually ut-bin itself that's linked against libSDL.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              Quite right. Only the latest toolkits (GTK+3, Qt5, EFL) will be ported to Wayland. Old toolkits, which many programs still depend on (GTK+2, Qt4, and such) will have to run via XWayland. Exception is SDL which will probably gain Wayland support in both SDL and SDL2.

Programs that do not use the Wayland-native toolkits will have to be either ported to another toolkit, or run on XWayland. The difficulties are for programs that use no toolkits at all and speak directly to X11, which have to be rewritten to speak the Wayland protocol instead.

Of course, Mir (needlessly) complicates things even further...
              Latest Qt4 has wayland support(?)
              Last edited by Thaodan; 29 July 2013, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                Latest Qt4 has wayland support(?)
                It does, although it's far less complete than what's being built into Qt5. So while it's possible, people should really port their apps if possible. Luckily, porting to Qt4 from Qt5 is usually just a matter of building against the new version, no major code changes needed. This isn't the case for many GTK 2 programs that are still active development. So people will want to seriously consider porting their apps to newer toolkits, anyway, to get the full benefits of Wayland.

Honestly, GTK 2 apps are the only real sore area I see in this migration, aside from FLTK and other barely-known, barely-used toolkits. Many people stick to using GTK 2 apps just to keep using old themes, not even for any technical reason. Once someone actual ports their desktop over, so people don't need to use Weston to enjoy Wayland, I think people will stop assuming this situation is so difficult to adapt to.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  Well that's what I heard, anyway, not sure if it's correct.
                  SDL had been ported to wayland by Benjamin Franzke. Not sure about the status right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                    Yep, that's what the *.so was for but it's actually ut-bin itself that's linked against libSDL.
                    Oh yes I see what you mean, my bad. How does UT render though? I don't see a libGL.so .. is it through the libglide.so?

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
                      Honestly, GTK 2 apps are the only real sore area I see in this migration, aside from FLTK and other barely-known, barely-used toolkits. Many people stick to using GTK 2 apps just to keep using old themes, not even for any technical reason. Once someone actual ports their desktop over, so people don't need to use Weston to enjoy Wayland, I think people will stop assuming this situation is so difficult to adapt to.
                      =O That's actually me lol... I haven't been able to find a correct GTK3 port of the Xfce Dusk theme (it just looks soooo much better in GTK2). That's also the reason I haven't upgraded many of my apps to use GTK3 instead of 2..

Comment

Working...
                      X