No announcement yet.

Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to see some racing games on linux. Any chance of bringing Colin McRae Dirt and Race Driver Grid on linux?

Also, how about Team 17's Worm's games?

Comment

Originally posted by rah_ View Post
      This post doesn't make clear what "it" is. I'm curious as to which games in that list are more popular than others. A poll might also help to prioritise the efforts of seeking permission.
      Just ignore that post, it's what comes out when I'm barely awake and have a hang over. >.>

Comment

Originally posted by superppl View Post
        I would like to see some racing games on linux. Any chance of bringing Colin McRae Dirt and Race Driver Grid on linux?

WORMS!!!

not even the stupid 3D versions. worms arm and world party hold a permanent place in my heart

Comment

Yeah, the 3D versions were totally idiot. Worms2 was the best

Comment

Double that. Worms2 = king... WWP = sucks. But there is Wormux by the way. Is a Worms2 clone.

Comment

wormux and hedgewars cant compete with worms.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                i don't see the point, unless you would like to redistribute the data files.
                You just hit it on the head...

there is already a pretty mature linux fs2 project underway ( on http://scp.indiegames.us/ ), so that might be a duplicate effort.
                The SCP for FS2 is only okay on the engine's license. The rest of what they're doing (Making available the assets, enhanced assets, etc. via download) is NOT legit and is an infringement of the worst kind- just waiting for the lawyers to find out what they've done. The situation needs to be defused; which is what I was alluding to.

that would be a major win. especially a port of bejewelled 2.

now this would be awesome. anyone who has seen this game in action would probably agree.

deus ex really deserves a new port. i'd vote for it.
                It's a subject of discussion. Eidos was of the impression that the rights still belonged to Loki Games on the Linux version and was unwilling to relicense the thing to someone else back when Loki imploded. They might be amenable to doing it, but they're going to want silly large amounts of cash for rights access, most likely.

how are things looking with studios that don't exist anymore? i'm thinking of classics made by bullfrog (dungeon keeper, theme hospital, theme park) or muckyfoot (startopia)
                Anything of Bullfrog belongs to EA. Startopia's rights belong to Eidos. You MIGHT be able to find someone from Mucky Foot that still has the assets and code because they just simply shuttered themselves- but you'd have to get Eidos to sign off on that. Heh... Just because a studio's no-more, doesn't mean you're going to get an easy shot at a game.

Comment

Originally posted by wolterh View Post
                  Port Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion (And obviously the non-expansion version, I guess)
                  You mean the Age of Empires II with a Microsoft URL (i.e. Microsoft Game Studios for the publisher...) for the official homepage? Hm?

Comment

@Svartalf: what about becoming a game dev for a game currently in production? ( or did i miss your thoughts and results on this ? )

while porting old games is a good thing(TM), buying them again for Linux is not, as long as i can run them with WINE ( guys/gals don't start the WINE vs. native flame-war please )

i feel that having a future game with a Linux version would impact the gaming media/ecosystem/etc better than being always one step behind, where it always looks that 'those crazy Linux/Mac guys are so nostalgic, playing that 7 years old Windows game'
                    being there from the start could shape a better future for the engines too, like not using some proprietary non-portable middle-ware and etc

and a good example happened recently, as ET:QW was developed for Linux almost at the same time, and the release was a bit later, while UT3 had Linux as an afterthought and is still not done

Comment

Originally posted by superppl View Post
                      Heh... Check the list... About all I've got to say there...

Maybe...

Comment

Working...
                      X