Excito B3 Mini ARM Powered Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    I wonder how the performance is compared to the cheap Via thin clients available. Around the same cpu freq, but x86, and rated around 15-25W.
    Actually had a VIA Eden I was going to compare the performance to, but I may have killed the B3 this morning from overheating after running 12 hours worth of compiler tests on it... Still investigating.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Wow! This looks really interesting, although I never heard of the company!

Going with Debian and allowing full control of the software stack is always highly appreciated and builds up trust towards the manufacturer. (Also does when an employee comes to Phoronix to answer questions.)

I have only one problem, though. Provided that I am looking for a file server / AP combo it looks a nice solution, but how do I connect several disks to it? For example I would like to use 4-5 HDDs, then I can use the eSata and USB ports, but I still need lots of external drive cases which means a huge amount of (unnecessary) plugs. So what I would like to see is this device with a much bigger case for lots of HDDs.
      Or am I missing something?

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Actually had a VIA Eden I was going to compare the performance to, but I may have killed the B3 this morning from overheating after running 12 hours worth of compiler tests on it... Still investigating.
      You really are crazy!

But unfortunately I think that this also means that I should not install BOINC on it... pity.

Comment

Does it support a SATA multiplexer?

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
          Looks real nice, but for $400, my dual atom server was just over half the price for, at worst, the same specs. I can appreciate the form factor and DC power pack as a cause for the price premium, however.
          I agree. For about $500 (mostly due to the cost of buying raid harddisks ~ $200) I was able to get a Atom d525 (dual core, 64-bit chipset, server motherboard), 500GB RAID (2x500GB), a big case (only bad thing about the server), and 2 GB ram. So the only advantage this machine has over the one I build is that it is tinny (good for a home server).

Comment

I wonder if the RAM is soldered onboard like with most devices of this kind, or in a (SO-)DIMM socket. If it is possible to upgrade the RAM, this device will be really interesting, despite its high price.

If not, then a Lenovo D400 or similar might be a better buy, even though it has higher power consumption.

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
            Does it support a SATA multiplexer?
            I wouldn't count on it. Historically, only Silicon Image chipsets worked well with SATA PMP. This has improved somewhat since but is still not universally robust.

Comment

Wow, the ranks of appliances in the style of "ARM+Linux = cool, small, energy-saving device" are surely growing fast... which can only be a good thing, from a consumer (and Linux-advocate) standpoint

Also from what i'm seeing, those guys seem to have done their homework: direct contact to the unwashed masses in this thread, recent Debian installation, open bootloader... Justifies a certain amount of premium on the price for me.

One question though: Are there any plans for selling those devices without disks? I've got a bunch of HDDs here, and would love to see them spinning in a B3 + eSATA-Storage-addon.
              I wouldn't mind downloading an image from the website for the OS or sth. similar, and I guess that a sizeable part of the target audience (those willing to experiment with debian-on-ARM) wouldn't mind either.

Comment

(stupid 1 minute edit limit... grr)
                Just saw that there's an option to download the OS images from your site, or even buying them preloaded on a USB stick. There's also source code for the Bubba2, but not for the B3... Is a source download for the B3 planned anytime soon?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  That's bad. Servers are expected to withstand a great deal of abuse and not fail. I hope you include at least an Atom machine in that comparision. It would be very interesting to see atom vs via vs arm Low power FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                    That's bad. Servers are expected to withstand a great deal of abuse and not fail. I hope you include at least an Atom machine in that comparision. It would be very interesting to see atom vs via vs arm Low power FTW!
                    There is no comparison since the ARM system is not turning back on.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

woah that's pretty lame, hopefully it was just a dud unit, not a good look though.

Comment

Working...
                      X