Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Unity 8 Version Of Ubuntu Proposed

Phoronix: A New Unity 8 Version Of Ubuntu Proposed

A new Unity 8 flavor of Ubuntu Linux is being proposed for helping developers experiment with the next-generation Ubuntu stack built upon the Unity 8 desktop components, the Mir display server, and related code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds like they've learned from some of the mistakes of the first Unity rollout.

Comment

Good move. It would be nice if they also made this build a rolling release similar to Archlinux.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
        Good move. It would be nice if they also made this build a rolling release similar to Archlinux.
        Agreed, a rolling release (not quite as bleeding edge as Arch) would make more sense these days for Ubuntu. Perhaps having three versions; stable, testing, and development would suffice all as rolling releases.

Comment

I'm comfortable with the current dist upgrade. With a rolling release you probably would also get all the bugs...

Comment

I wouldn't object to a rolling-ish style release, just as long as the LTS's remain the same. I would love to have a setup where I can choose what happens to it.

Example... I fire up a stock Ubuntu instance. If I do nothing, it remains as such. Ticking an extra software source in the repo and bingo, I might have all of my applications updated, rolling style. Another tick in the software source field and I can choose to upgrade far more than that, such as everything under the hood.

Really the only appealing thing to me about rolling distros is that I'll get the latest applications, though the majority of the time I never have a 'need' (keyword) to upgrade, though it would be nice to keep my OS itself relatively stock and just spun up to newer versions of Clementine, Gimp, blah blah on the fly.

Just my rambling 2c, though.

Comment

Originally posted by roasted View Post
              Really the only appealing thing to me about rolling distros is that I'll get the latest applications, though the majority of the time I never have a 'need' (keyword) to upgrade, though it would be nice to keep my OS itself relatively stock and just spun up to newer versions of Clementine, Gimp, blah blah on the fly.

Just my rambling 2c, though.
              Lubuntu has done something similar recently. (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/05/l...ps-stable-fans)

They will update the core apps if they don't result in breakage issues.

Personally, I would love to see a repo that tests and publishes new versions of the top 200 apps installed on ubuntu if they are verified to be safe upgrades, while keeping the core the same.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                Lubuntu has done something similar recently. (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/05/l...ps-stable-fans)

They will update the core apps if they don't result in breakage issues.

Personally, I would love to see a repo that tests and publishes new versions of the top 200 apps installed on ubuntu if they are verified to be safe upgrades, while keeping the core the same.
                There used to be something like that, but it has been largely unmaintained. I don't recall any news about it but other users told me about it after I asked on an IRC channel. Some of the date stamps were incredibly outdated, and likewise, since a few years had passed the newer versions of, say, Gimp, in the default repos were already wildly newer than what was in this PPA.

I'm not even sure if a 'top 200' is needed. Personally I'd rather see it start small (top 25?) and build up as they have the resources to do so.

In all fairness, it has been quite a while since I've intentionally went out to grab a PPA because I 'needed' the latest version. I think the most recent example was Ubuntu 12.04 as I wanted Gimp 2.8 for single screen mode, but that was it. Of course everybody's uses are different so I'm by no means saying it's a moot point, but just clarifying, that while I would use it, I certainly wouldn't 'need' it.

Comment

Working...
                X