Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.7.18 Has Bug-Fixes, New Functions

Phoronix: Wine 1.7.18 Has Bug-Fixes, New Functions

The latest bi-weekly Wine release in the 1.7 series leading up to the Wine 1.8 stable release is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Reporting from wine 1.7.18 and el matador works, dont crash at begins

But other titles as dark souls II continues with flickering, saint row the third runs but before entry game once time to entry at game crash

And i test other titles now from more results

Comment

Waiting for Ken Thomases's patch (https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/win...il/103984.html) to be committed
      It should fix Wine Bug 35718. I want it for the Path of Exile fix, but I believe it fixes Dark Souls II too.

Don't have a 32bit distro installed and Ubuntu 13.10+ did away with ia32-libs I refuse to use lxc/chroot just for Wine

Comment

One thing they do not mention in the release notes...

Now CLI programs should run normally. As in, everytime cmd.exe gets invoked, a terminal window should pop-up and print the output of whatever command is run or allow you to interact with the program.

This should be noticeable with mods for the various Infinity engine games, etc... Hopefully it makes Wine behave more like Windows in this regard.

PS: Well it is mentioned in the section where pacthes and their authors are listed. But it's not self-explanatory Many thanks to Vincent Povirk for his work on fixing this bug.
        Last edited by who_me; 02 May 2014, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Whatever happend to that DX9 state tracker for Wine? I know the Wine guys won't have it but that doesn't mean it still can't be working on. I even have CSMT patched and enabled and some games still runs slow.

Comment

One thing I've never known is why somebody (Wine maybe?) doesn't make a wine-type "translator" that uses Windows binaries/libraries themselves? Like, if you have a dual-boot setup, you could just point it to your Windows install it it would load an execute the Windows files and just translate the output, instead of translating (then running ) the input.

Is it that it's not allowed in some license thing of Microsoft? I assume if it's installed on your computer it's legal to use those binaries to run Windows programs, no?

I assume this would use more resources than Wine, as you're loading up a large part of the Windows OS, but I feel like it could lead to performance benefits (for those with the hardware to use it in the first place) and more bug-free running of Windows things.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              One thing I've never known is why somebody (Wine maybe?) doesn't make a wine-type "translator" that uses Windows binaries/libraries themselves? Like, if you have a dual-boot setup, you could just point it to your Windows install it it would load an execute the Windows files and just translate the output, instead of translating (then running ) the input.

Is it that it's not allowed in some license thing of Microsoft? I assume if it's installed on your computer it's legal to use those binaries to run Windows programs, no?

I assume this would use more resources than Wine, as you're loading up a large part of the Windows OS, but I feel like it could lead to performance benefits (for those with the hardware to use it in the first place) and more bug-free running of Windows things.
              That is called a "Virtual machine". Call your sales rep for a presentation.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

Comment

Surprised he didn't mention the "D3D command stream" not being mainlined again

Comment

Native libraries work to some extend in Wine as doom_Oo7 already pointed out. Libraries that call the Windows kernel or drivers running in it do not because Wine does not run a Windows kernel. And when you want to run the Windows kernel (or a replacement of it) and Windows drivers you need something like Reactos that replaces Linux entirely.

Comment

Working...
                    X