Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

???

Could somone clarify...

In terms of what is working and what isn't, Trinity is basically working and the focus now is building up the GCN acceleration stack. Kernel driver for GCN has been working for a while although changes to memory management are continuing, and work is ramping up on shader compiler and 3D acceleration.
    Is John Bridgman referring to GCN for the integrated GPU within trinity?

If so...isnt this GPU supposed to be VLIW4?

AFDS11: Upcoming Trinity APU will use VLIW4 / Cayman Architecture Well that was an interesting twist...  During a talk on the next generation of GPU

Comment

I don't see anything in his statement which would infer that Trinity is GCN or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Alchemist07 View Post
        Is John Bridgman referring to GCN for the integrated GPU within trinity?
        No, I'm referring to Trinity GPU and GCN as two separate things. Putting both in the same sentence made it kind of ambiguous, sorry about that.

Trinity GPU initial support is done, including the same acceleration APIs as currently shipping parts. It has only been "developer tested" but seems to work. The GCN shader core is substantially different (as you can see from the AFDS presentations) so there's a lot of work required to implement acceleration support.
        Last edited by bridgman; 16 December 2011, 10:56 AM.
        Test signature

Comment

What i am wondering about is that when hd 7000 cards will be out then amd will not ship any pci-e 3.0 chipset. That means you test it with snb-e boards now or what

Comment

What, those boards that Intel themselves do not test?

They said they can't, with no certified cards out yet at the time.

Comment

I think this is why HW vendors go to plugfests.
              Test signature

Comment

So when will the free drivers support this new card? Can bridgman now say it? I purposefully have a r600 card, since that is what is supported well, but it is a bit slow from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
                  So when will the free drivers support this new card? Can bridgman now say it?
                  Now that the first GCN chip has launched I *could* say if I knew, but all I can do right now is tell you where we are. Once we get to "first triangle" it will be easier to estimate schedule for the rest of the work.
                  Test signature

Comment

All I want to know is am I safe in Buying a Trinity / FM2 for use in my AIO FreeBSD rig ?

or will I just have to go Intel / Nvidia Combo again ?

Need for HD Media Playback ( XBMC )/ HD Transcoding 8bit ~ 10bit / Light Gaming / File server / VirtualBox's

Current system is a Core2Duo but is struggling on 1080p 10bit playback and really wanting to use the PCI-e slots for another HBA card to expand ZFS Array

Comment

Originally posted by MasterCATZ View Post
                      All I want to know is am I safe in Buying a Trinity / FM2 for use in my AIO FreeBSD rig ?
                      No, you can't. New AMD hardware is only supported in the gallium drivers, which requires KMS, which isn't supported by FreeBSD. Actually, I'm not sure if you can even use new Intel hardware, either, but that would definitely be closer to being supported than AMD.

Comment

Working...
                      X