No announcement yet.

A Bounty For Gallium3D On Haiku OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The system which does nothing will be always be more stable than a system which does everything. Yes, you can say DOS is more stable than Linux, but what's the point? And yes, Linux does a lot more than any other free system.

Comment

• I'm not defending haiku, I am attacking linux.
      And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what doctors call an inferiority complex.

Don't worry, HaikuOS users, we still love you. All three of you.

Comment

• As far as troll-threads go, this one ranks pretty high in my list

Comment

• LOL, envy of course always requires having something that someone else wants, Linux has nothing I want or need. I already have a nice library of commercial software that actually works and allows me to collaborate with others.

Its called windows and it does everything I need it to.

I think the envy is comming from a different direction.

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what doctors call an inferiority complex.

Don't worry, HaikuOS users, we still love you. All three of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
            Yes, I agree with that partially, but I wasn't talking about you when I said there are Haiku zealots. The Linux kernel is hard to debug by design, because of the monolithic model, noone (or noone with some criticism) denies that. I just said that the good or bad product is relative to the use you do. And if you talk about how many apps (and how many good apps) and drivers you can use with your OS, Linux is, if not the best, between the bests in the Open Source world. If we talk about stability, as I said, is not the best neither of the unix-like OS, because there are *BSD for example.

I enjoy using haiku, its my daily web surfing os and it give me a chance to work in a very open enviroment on stuff I want to work on. It going to be a fun learning tool for sure, especially wirh regards to threading.

When I want to get serious work done, I boot into windowxp or windows 7 ""depending on what I am doing" and I get my work done.

There are more certifiable insane of nutty linux users who have a presumption of self importance and superiority. The Haiku guys are just coding away building what they " and alot of others" feel is the best opensource desktop system around. In honesty after using it for sometime. I tend to agree. I think its alot better then windows in many regards.

The current areas of failing are

Applications, There just not enough software of the quality and features I need to make a switch.

Drivers, not all of my hardware works " I am not alone here"

bug fix's. They have made alot of strides here but there is still a long way to go.

That siad the haiku team does have focus, vision and fairly solid plan and set of goals. They also have a very cohesive system which is well integrated. Application interoperability is a snap etc etc etc.

Its all relative to what you need out of your computing experience. Given the current goals and milestones, I'd say that haiku will appeal to a very braod users base beyond FOSS. I flatly don't expect many linux users to switch. I frankly don't care either. Let them have their precious.

Comment

• Originally posted by marek View Post
              The system which does nothing will be always be more stable than a system which does everything. Yes, you can say DOS is more stable than Linux, but what's the point? And yes, Linux does a lot more than any other free system.
              but it doesn't do more then many closed systems, most users don't care if the software is open or closed, they only care that it does what they need it to.

A point the linux community forgets readily.

Comment

• trollol

Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
                LOL, envy of course always requires having something that someone else wants, Linux has nothing I want or need.
                Weren't you begging for Gallium3d support a few pages back? Way to double back.

The Haiku guys are just coding away building what they " and alot of others" feel is the best opensource desktop system around.
                Yeah, all three of them agree. It's the bestest!

most users don't care if the software is open or closed, they only care that it does what they need it to.
                This coming from a Haiku user who cannot even use adobe flash or 3d hardware. Gods, the irony!

Please keep this stuff coming, it's comedy gold!

Comment

• why cant we all just get along? :'(

Comment

• Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
                    I enjoy using haiku, its my daily web surfing os and it give me a chance to work in a very open enviroment on stuff I want to work on. It going to be a fun learning tool for sure, especially wirh regards to threading.

When I want to get serious work done, I boot into windowxp or windows 7 ""depending on what I am doing" and I get my work done.

There are more certifiable insane of nutty linux users who have a presumption of self importance and superiority. The Haiku guys are just coding away building what they " and alot of others" feel is the best opensource desktop system around. In honesty after using it for sometime. I tend to agree. I think its alot better then windows in many regards.

The current areas of failing are

Applications, There just not enough software of the quality and features I need to make a switch.

Drivers, not all of my hardware works " I am not alone here"

bug fix's. They have made alot of strides here but there is still a long way to go.

That siad the haiku team does have focus, vision and fairly solid plan and set of goals. They also have a very cohesive system which is well integrated. Application interoperability is a snap etc etc etc.

Its all relative to what you need out of your computing experience. Given the current goals and milestones, I'd say that haiku will appeal to a very braod users base beyond FOSS. I flatly don't expect many linux users to switch. I frankly don't care either. Let them have their precious.
                    If you want to know my opinion, the reason because there are more insane Linux zealots is statistic. If you use Linux, in most cases you CHOSE to use Linux (that's the cause there aren't that much Windows zealots, it is used a lot, but most users doesn't use it because of a fanatism, but because it is easy to use, obviously there are power users, but they are not the most), as every "alternative OS" users (with alternative, I mean non Windows). Then, if we apply statistics, we will probably see a distribution of "fanatism" level and number of users, and I am almost sure it is practically the same in every single one free OS, but being Linux the most used of that OS'es, it will obviously be the one with more zealots.
                    On the other hand (it is something I didn't thought earlier in the thread) you said that if it is a good product, it will get more users. First, Linux is the most used of the FLOSS OS'es. Second, that relation is not always true. And Linux is an example, is ugly coded (I'm not sure if it is actually ugly coded or if it is just the monolithic design, but the results are the same, is hard to understand) and many more defects, but is the most used. Why? Because it came in the right moment, just almost the same reason Windows is the most used in general (not exactly, in MS case it was the right contract when MS-DOS was developed). GNU (being the first complete free OS) needed a kernel, HURD failed to success, it is not ready right now, and less ready in the 90's, and Linux appeared when needed. Then, people who wanted a free OS went to Linux, which is not that great in the design. Is it a good product? Yes, for the use I give it, but I can not say anything about the use anyone else do with the computer.

And finally, I think it is stupid, being Linux zealots Free Software ones before, to fight another free OS. Makes no sense. Isn't the idea of free software to promote competition AND colaboration between projects? Is not the idea to have more variety?

Comment

• Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
                      Its called windows and it does everything I need it to.
                      Then why are you bothering with Haiku?

Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
                      The Haiku guys are just coding away building what they " and alot of others" feel is the best opensource desktop system around.
                      So why are you attacking the Haiku devs for creating a Package Manager for Haiku? They are obviously doing this because THEY want it for THEIR opensource desktop system which THEY think is the best opensource desktop system around. You are nothing but a sad hypocrite with some crazy fear of Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X