Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA XRender Performance Improved

Phoronix: NVIDIA XRender Performance Improved

Towards the middle of last month, NVIDIA had released the 169.04 Beta Linux Driver. The change-log was quite lengthy and what we had discovered while benchmarking the GeForce 8 series was that there were improvements to be found in this release and it was far more than a simple version bump. One of the reported changes for this driver release was "improved RENDER performance", and out of requests from readers and interest by the Linux desktop community at large, we have conducted XRender benchmarks using render_bench and have the NVIDIA results available today.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Try GtkPerf also!

Btw, 1000 iterations in the "Text"-test is a bit wierd, it turns into a CPU test instead.

And here's an older test with lots of configurations that shows Render helping a bit at least: http://gtkperf.sourceforge.net/index...e=testing&id=2

Comment

And this is good in what way?

Comment

Originally posted by conholster View Post
        And this is good in what way?
        I truly hope you are kidding!

Is there any chance of seeing some older cards compared similarly? I'd be curious to see what a low end 6200 and a mid range 7x card can do. I pick these because they are the onboard graphics for the Nvidia chipsets...

Also how does this apply to real world usage? Will I see a performance increase in in only specific applications or will everything GL benefit?

Comment

The result sounds really good.

I hope NVidia would add the hardware H.264 decoding into their Linux driver in the near future. I still have some movies that I have to reboot into Windows in order to play.

Comment

I came across the following benchmarks as well:

what's missing from the phoronix results (and the above) is a comparisons with the frglx.

Also kudos to the radeonhd guys, since until recently they were better than nvidia's binary blob.

Comment

Originally posted by psyopper View Post
              I truly hope you are kidding!

Also how does this apply to real world usage? Will I see a performance increase in in only specific applications or will everything GL benefit?
              I think you asked the very same question... and i'm also interested by the answer !

Comment

its totally nuts how much of an improvement this is, nearly unbelievable i wonder what they changed :P

Comment

oh well, i would like to see a large test when this new driver is stable. a comparison between the nvidia, nv and nouveau-driver would be really interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by Regenwald View Post
                    oh well, i would like to see a large test when this new driver is stable. a comparison between the nvidia, nv and nouveau-driver would be really interesting...
                    How'd you read my mind?
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X