AMD Catalyst vs. NVIDIA OpenCL Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
    Yeah, amd radeons are really popular for that. So perhaps amd delivers a better product than nvidia. I know this is regarded as heresy on these forums, but still.
    People spend money on graphics cards to play games. Only a few people actually care about Bitcoin Mining or Folding@Home etc. Picking a niche application where it performns better and calling it a better product because of that is a bit exaggerated. Let's not forget the better drivers, graphics performance and power consumption NVIDIA has to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      People spend money on graphics cards to play games.
      It doesn't look any better with DirectCompute either. Games are picking that up now, and AMD outperforms NVidia there too. And I'm not talking silly stuff like "TressFX" hair in Tomb Raider, but rather good stuff like DX11 global illumination, which uses DirectCompute.

The scale is shifting towards AMD this year. They are now performing better in the latest DX11 games because of superior GPGPU performance.

Comment

The larger problem I have is that NVIDIAs blob doesn't support powersave in dual monitor mode.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          It doesn't look any better with DirectCompute either. Games are picking that up now, and AMD outperforms NVidia there too. And I'm not talking silly stuff like "TressFX" hair in Tomb Raider, but rather good stuff like DX11 global illumination, which uses DirectCompute.

The scale is shifting towards AMD this year. They are now performing better in the latest DX11 games because of superior GPGPU performance.
          If we had better Linux drivers that would be a point.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
            The larger problem I have is that NVIDIAs blob doesn't support powersave in dual monitor mode.
            They do if you have the same resolution and refresh rates, or if you have a Kepler card.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
              I've always been a fan of ATI, but the Nvidia GT660 TI has been a dream with Wine compared to my ATI 3870.
              In this escenary (WINE), NVIDIA kick at nuts ATI/MAD but for now ATI/MAD main problem remains on actual drivers state (ATI/MAD hardware is good) on WINE

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                I got a hearty laugh.
                Either you're laughing at him or you don't grasp that CUDA is dying.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  People spend money on graphics cards to play games.[...]
                  and more than 97% of these people do not want to play their Windows games under Linux.

If Nvidia really has a better closedsource driver for Linux than AMD, it doesn't really mean their product is any better than AMD's. Linux is on the desktop computer only a niche plattform after all.

But I agree that AMD's product isn't better either, only because it is much better with OpenCL performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                    If we had better Linux drivers that would be a point.
                    I don't know what you are missing from the drivers, but:
                    S3 aka suspend to ram works
                    gaming works
                    opencl is fast.

What else do you want?

Oh yes, one company supports opensource development
                    One company hinders opensource development

Pretty much a nobrainer that AMD is the card one should buy.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                      I don't know what you are missing from the drivers, but:
                      S3 aka suspend to ram works
                      gaming works
                      opencl is fast.

What else do you want?

Oh yes, one company supports opensource development
                      One company hinders opensource development

Pretty much a nobrainer that AMD is the card one should buy.
                      Gaming works? Since when? My Radeon HD 7950 still has problems rendering a desktop properly; games on Steam, especially Valve's Source games, are all unplayable with serious glitches; games on Wine have horrible framerates and glitches as well.

I'm waiting on Catalyst 13.7 to see if there is an improvement.

Comment

Working...
                      X