No announcement yet.

The Developers Behind The Mir Display Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't this also mean the display server gets 'less important' because it doesn't do that much any more, at least compared to X11?

On one side it talks to established driver+kernel APIs, and on the other to toolkits like Qt for applications (very simplified, I guess). And as you say, Mir would probably do the same thing. So I'm still not conviced about all the fragmentation doomsday talk. One would probably be able to switch display servers like today we switch DEs?

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
      And that helps us how when it isn't any more? (link)
      Not that that's a good argument in itself, I know.
      Yeah, it can easily be brought back if anyone's interested in running or maintaining it; it's right there in the history, it's not like it was magically unexisted or anything. But it turns out that not too many people start from the point of 'let's take AOSP and brutally bash in half of a GNU-based userland, except for the Bionic bits we need'. Forking AOSP to support that is also viciously painful, so it's a bit of a red herring really. One of those things that sounds appealing on paper, until you actually try to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
        Doesn't this also mean the display server gets 'less important' because it doesn't do that much any more, at least compared to X11?

On one side it talks to established driver+kernel APIs, and on the other to toolkits like Qt for applications (very simplified, I guess). And as you say, Mir would probably do the same thing. So I'm still not conviced about all the fragmentation doomsday talk. One would probably be able to switch display servers like today we switch DEs?
        It seems it would need different driver API, and different toolkit implementations (effectively to do the same thing).

Comment

Wow, X.Org folks are having a butthurt. Time to grab popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJ View Post
            I cannot see how this will be successful without driver support from the big 3. Unless by chance they already have support from AMD, Intel and Nvidia. The madness coming from the Canonical camp just never ceases to amaze me.
            Ubuntu Linux shares > all other versions of Linux.

Which one do you think the developers will flock too? Ubuntu drives Linux development, and Linux wouldn't be in the state its in if it weren't for Ubuntu bringing Linux to the consumer.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
              Ubuntu Linux shares > all other versions of Linux.

Which one do you think the developers will flock too? Ubuntu drives Linux development, and Linux wouldn't be in the state its in if it weren't for Ubuntu bringing Linux to the consumer.
              +1. Canonical alone is responsible for getting Valve on board. Gabe would rather promote Macs than talk to and bargain with a myriad of small Linux communities.

So yeah, screw "the ecosystem". Canonical is making a point here: Ubuntu is not a "distro", it is an independent operating system with its own homegrown solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
                +1. Canonical alone is responsible for getting Valve on board. Gabe would rather promote Macs than talk to and bargain with a myriad of small Linux communities.

So yeah, screw "the ecosystem". Canonical is making a point here: Ubuntu is not a "distro", it is an independent operating system with its own homegrown solutions.
                Yeah, screw the ecosystem, including Debian, and let us see where Ubuntu stands after that. They will have an init system (that now is planned to use parts of systemd, the ecosystem), one shell that is not working without software from the ecosystem and plans for a display server, nothing else.
                I can see how independent they really are.

Comment

wait, we have that code licensed under gpl, allowing everybody to do exactly what ubuntu is doing and now we are blaming them to do what was allowed them to do?

sounds logic to me.

i can understand the complaints but i cannot undestand the level and most arguments i read are pure nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post

Yeah, they're better/more/different than everyone else.....

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                      Yeah, screw the ecosystem, including Debian, and let us see where Ubuntu stands after that. They will have an init system (that now is planned to use parts of systemd, the ecosystem), one shell that is not working without software from the ecosystem and plans for a display server, nothing else.
                      I can see how independent they really are.
                      Canonical takes the best for its needs and complies with the license. Whiners can GTFO.

Comment

Working...
                      X