Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinnamon: Making The GNOME Shell Like GNOME2

Phoronix: Cinnamon: Making The GNOME Shell Like GNOME2

Developers behind the Linux Mint project have forked the GNOME Shell into a new project they currently refer to as Cinnamon. The goal of this GNOME Shell fork is to morph the modern GNOME desktop into one that's more like GNOME 2.x...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This sounds much more like the kind of move that we need. None of that fork-gnome2 nonsense. Any links besides github? Like a discussion thread? Feature list? etc.?

Comment

Agree 100%

Gnome 3 indeed in much better under the hood. Its only problem is a bunch of you know what that want world to revolve around them.
      We really need to show them the forks.

Comment

Wouldn't it be easier to maintain a set of well-tested extensions that provide traditional behavior? There are quite a few individual extensions with those sorts of goals already. I will be interested to see what exactly they are changing that can't be done with extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuran View Post
          Wouldn't it be easier to maintain a set of well-tested extensions that provide traditional behavior? There are quite a few individual extensions with those sorts of goals already. I will be interested to see what exactly they are changing that can't be done with extensions.
          MGSE is just a bunch of extensions. You cant do everything with extensions so maybe the mint devs hit a snag. At least that is the truth until 3.4.

Another explanation could be the easy way of handling extensions at extensions.gnome.org. The extra mint stuff would only be a few clicks away for any Gnome-shell user. This would render the whole idea of a mint-distribution kinda obsolete.

The third explanation could be the new GTK menu style which adds LOTS of flexibility to menu creation and presentation. Maybe this triggered some creative thinking in the Mint-shell design.

My unqualified guess is a combo of all three things. My even more unqualified guess is that Ubuntu will follow the same path after the LTS release.

Comment

The best part: The GNOME2 lovers can stop whine now AND get a GNOME3 desktop they like. The only one to be sorry are those who just like to rant.

Comment

gnome2 not out dated

I think the MATE people would resent you calling gnome2 outdated. They plan to mantain gnome 2 including metacity and everything under the gnome toolkit version 3.

Comment

Originally posted by dacresbu View Post
                I think the MATE people would resent you calling gnome2 outdated. They plan to mantain gnome 2 including metacity and everything under the gnome toolkit version 3.
                LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. MATE is already doomed. Look at Ohloh. At GNOME2s prime it had around 200 active commiters keeping track of a multimillion LOC code base. Many talented people with deep knowledge about the code. Even many paid full time.

MATE? a few guys doing a few commits while having beers and pizza in the basement. Mostly moving stuff around and renaming. When 200 talented people decide its time to move on, then 2 free time basement hackers can do nothing. This is just building up momentum for the most hilarious fork&fail ever. Here is a .gif for you to show the MATEs future. http://i.imgur.com/Gmh39.gif "funny idea, then downhill, then boooom...."

Yeah we all know Clem at Mint is pushing it. Why? Because it scratches an itch for haters&ranters unable to adapt to changes forced by a new Shell. Clem is doing nothing but giving them what they want and not what the future is all about. You can do alot of crazy stuff on GNOME3 with extensions.gnome.org or random extensions from the nets.

Today marks another attempt to save those old habit hung dudes. Lets hope for some succes.

Comment

Scares me when they say forked from gnome shell. Hopefully it's just a set of extensions plus some experimental code to support something in extensions they couldn't do.

Comment

Maybe they were fed up at how much memory gnome shell leaks when just moving the mouse over the menu for some time...
                    Seriously, try it.

Comment

Working...
                    X