No announcement yet.

RHEL 7 Linux To Use GNOME 3 Classic Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually ran Gnome 3 Shell + extensions. I switched to mate because of the insane memory requirements not being able to work on my Ancient Radeon 9600 with 64 MiB ram. I do have to say, with the right extensions, it works really well.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      In PC hardware only through Intel and Linux drivers are available.
      Only that the available drivers have no 3D support.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
        Only that the available drivers have no 3D support.
        So the closed source drivers with accelerated OpenGL are gone?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          So the closed source drivers with accelerated OpenGL are gone?
          They only work with some ancient Ubuntu versions.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            Hallelujah! It's obvious this mantra of letting the employees do whatever they want doesn't work. The execs must have a coherent vision and the programmers must execute. Not let programmers run around because even if most of them may be good programmers, they suck at having anything related to a vision. Sounds cruel but most people don't have good ideas no matter how good are at their job.
            Well, this non working mantra is at least 150-MUSD-net-income obvious.
            Last edited by erendorn; 14 June 2013, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
              Let us assume the extra maintenance cost is insignificant. Why did no one show up to do the work? I think it is very understandable that the existing maintainers did some adjustments in order to keep the workload low and predictable. Anyway I know some of the missing features might be coming back. And that is with a vengeance. Opacity for every app, cool snapping to mimic panes for every app.
              Has nothing to do with maintenance burden. Its easier to leave it alone altogether, which is what they should have done.

What it is, is the gnome way.... copy apple. Ever wonder why gnome3+ menus look just like apple? Its because gnome are morons.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Will they be using the GNOME Classic Session which has deprecated by GNOME, or will they use GNOME Shell with the new classic extensions?

Either way, I am a fan of Classic Session, and not found of gnome-shell at all.
                I hope Red Hat makes it great.
                You're getting your terms wrong (and I think a lot of people are confused about this, so getting it wrong only makes that worse).

The thing that existed prior to 3.8 was never called 'classic'. It was called 'fallback mode'. 'Classic Mode' is the new thing in 3.8 that replaces fallback mode. It did not exist prior to 3.8. That is what RHEL 7 is using, *not* 'fallback mode'.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz View Post
                  So, it was Red Hat devs who led the way on the new interface in Shell in the first place, right? Why is Red Hat paying people to develop something they don't actually want to use?
                  Red Hat is committed to supporting development of F/OSS as a whole. Red Hat spends a whole bunch of money developing stuff that RHEL does not use by default or even at all (we have several paid staff working on KDE). I've been saying this forever, but apparently people insist on believing RH only develops stuff that RHEL uses

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz View Post
                    But of course if RH execs use Fedora then they would have been exposed to Shell ages ago. I'm stumped.
                    Jim Whitehurst has several systems running Fedora, including pre-releases...

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
                      Red Hat is not really one to look after legacy desktop hardware, it not their market.
                      Clearly, that's why we're paying people to write llvmpipe.

Comment

Working...
                      X