Alan Cox Calls Fedora 18 "The Worst Red Hat Distro"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lsatenstein View Post
    Alan Cox expressed his disappointment. He switched to another distribution, and I believe in the end, he will leave that distribution for another.
    Alan disagrees. https://plus.google.com/111104121194...ts/dEW3SeRT2ih

Comment

• Originally posted by kigurai View Post
      "Never had time to go Gentoo'ing. I think it serves an important purpose and has its place but I've seen openoffice compile once, and that was enough"

:rofl:

Comment

• I was imagination dead.

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        That's horrible. You are supposed to do this, or an equivalent thereof:
        Code:
        kdesu dolphin .
        I did not think to do sudo dolphin or sudo nautalis or sudo nema. Now that I know, I will not bother with logging to root, except in virtual console mode so that I may change ownerships of files that are moved or copied.

So far there is no graphical "chown" or "chgrp" that I could use in GUI mode. It is coming some day, right?

Comment

I did not think to do sudo dolphin or sudo nautalis or sudo nema. Now that I know, I will not bother with logging to root, except in virtual console mode so that I may change ownerships of files that are moved or copied.

So far there is no graphical "chown" or "chgrp" that I could use in GUI mode. It is coming some day, right?
          In virtual console mode you should not login as root either. There you should use su or sudo.

I don't know, I am not aware of any. You can try check on Freshmeat, or you could code one yourself in Python with GTK3 using GObject Introspection.

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamW View Post
            Logging into the desktop as root is never correct, as it causes all kinds of processes which are not intended to run as root and do likely do not have proper protection against running as root to run as root. Logging into a console as root is of course fine, though some would argue sudo is a superior model.
            Hi Adam
            I understand that running as root in GUI starts processes that may pose a risk. The alternative of course is to log to virtual terminal and do rm -i or if it existed, mv -i

But, in GUI, the built-in sofware asks me if I want to merge, skip, and/or skip, overwrite.

I have read 17 screens of discussion about "Niaiserie" (French word for blah blah blah stupidity). Bugs are not normal, or desired, but when a design is released, there are times some unforeseen conditions that were not anticipated. That is why we have a version 2, or a version 2.a or even a version 3, 4, 5, until that software is considered legacy pure.

Fedora 19 will show great improvements in anaconda, in all the facets of installation. Be assured that there is ongoing work to polish the logic, to cover unforeseen situations, and of course, improvements in the software.

I value my opinion about Fedora well above the opinion expressed by Alan Cox. Fedora 18 past the installation is ROCK SOLID for 99.999% of what people use it for. (I do networking, writing encryption code, ERP and database, emails, browsing, writing with word processors, spreadsheet and programming in C, C++ and Qt). I will start teaching myself Python next. Does Fedora satisfy my needs? Definitely.

Here is how I will be helping. When the time comes, I will have set aside 2 disks for F19 testing. (2x$50 for two 500gig satas) One machine I reserved for 32bit systems, the other for 64bit systems.

Please stop complaining and instead, ask how you can help to improve Fedora, to report bugs or buglets (little bugs) and feel good that you were a contributor that made a difference.

Comment

• @lsatenstein
              In case you missed it, you can easily launch just the GUI programs you need as root and not have to face the other "dangers".
              Let's say the file manager. You make a launcher for it too(to start gksu nautilus/nemo or kdesudo dolphin, nemo gives you an option to start/open folders as root IIRC and dolphin can get that too as a service). Saves you logging in and out, too.(Except if you only use the root account 0_o , but I doubt that)

Comment

How about right-clicking on whatever you want to change and choosing Properties -> Permissions in Dolphin?

Comment

• Permissions

How about right-clicking on whatever you want to change and choosing Properties -> Permissions in Dolphin?

Permissions does not change ownership or group (at least not with nautilus, or nemo)

Comment

Permissions does not change ownership or group (at least not with nautilus, or nemo)
                    It does in Dolphin, when running in root mode.

Comment

• You are right

It does in Dolphin, when running in root mode.
                      ===
                      Whein I run sudo nautilus or sudo nemo, nemo or nautilus has root privileges, and I am in /root I do not want to do so because I do not want to be in /root.

My only gui logon to root is to allow me to safely move or copy files, create, rename or delete directories, and after doing that, to get out of there. I use sudo su to change ownership of the files I moved or copied, (from user A to user B, and not A to root)
                      Since sudo su leaves me in the current directory, I complete the permissions and changes of ownership and groups in this session, and then i get out of there.

I learned in the discussions of hours of responding to the topic surrounding Alan Cox and his views. We waste energy discussing "WIP" (Work in Process).

I have done software engineering fo 40+ years and have common sense and experience, and know when and how to be super careful. For example, I do not do 16 consecutive hours of programming. I learned long long ago how error prone those last hours can be.

I am in Montreal Quebec Canada. GreatEmerald, where are you located?

Comment

Working...
                      X