Intel HD 4000 Ivy Bridge Graphics On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
    I think Atom could destroy Brazos in Linux, thanks to better drivers.
    By Atom, do you mean GMA3150 graphics? Not a chance. Even with the better drivers. GMA3150 is Gen3 hardware! When ValleyView arrives, then it'll get interesting. But only then.

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Well maybe compare intel vaapi against amd xvba (if you like xbmc fernet menta or via xvba vaapi wrapper) - then you know what chip is better...
    This ^
    If I were buying a laptop right now, I'd go with Intel. Strictly because of the better driver situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
      By Atom, do you mean GMA3150 graphics? Not a chance. Even with the better drivers. GMA3150 is Gen3 hardware! When ValleyView arrives, then it'll get interesting. But only then.

This ^
      If I were buying a laptop right now, I'd go with Intel. Strictly because of the better driver situation.
      GMA3150, with free drivers, versus Brazos, with free drivers, and with less than 1/10 of its theoretical performance, thanks to crappy free drivers.

I think it's perfectly possible. Brazos only wins over GMA3150 when using Catalyst.

Comment

I think you're seriously underestimating how much Gen3 graphics suck. I should know, I have a GMA950 in my netbook . I'm definitely looking forward to ValleyView.

Also, you can clock the Brazos GPU up when using the open radeon driver, can you not? That's the big issue in this test, Michael didn't clock up the Llano GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          i just do have a question wen intel will jump on the galium3D train ?
          Unless anything unforeseeable happens, I don't think this will happen.

Comment

Wow, the Trinity APUs should blow this thing away graphics-wise. And that's with the crappy AMD drivers. Assuming there are no major problems with it, of course.

Also, perhaps I missed it, but, why wasn't the Llano temperature shown? EDIT: Just realized this is probably due to the lack of driver support.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
              Wow, the Trinity APUs should blow this thing away graphics-wise. And that's with the crappy AMD drivers. Assuming there are no major problems with it, of course.

Also, perhaps I missed it, but, why wasn't the Llano temperature shown? EDIT: Just realized this is probably due to the lack of driver support.
              Not sure if the CPU temperature is available/usable (http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/hwmon/k10temp says it's supported, but maybe the kernel driver wasn't loaded), but GPU temp on my Llano is discoverable:

me@myLlanoMachine:/sys/class/drm/card0/device/hwmon/hwmon2$ cat temp1_input

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                my question about this tropic is simple: why in hell is the radeon driver 10 time slower than the Catalyst ?

50% slower ok... 70% slower maybe ok 80% slower OMG.... but 90+% slower? LOL HELL?--

whats going wrong in the radeon driver team ?
                has been explained like 50 times already just in this post, plz read the thread before ninja asking stupid question or maybe you are just trolling

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                  GMA3150, with free drivers, versus Brazos, with free drivers, and with less than 1/10 of its theoretical performance, thanks to crappy free drivers.

I think it's perfectly possible. Brazos only wins over GMA3150 when using Catalyst.
                  And that'd be delusional, The Atom N series is paired with the 200Mhz version of the GMA3150, so thats 2 200Mhz OpenGL2 Pixel Pipelines and only support for MPEG2 acceleration vs 80 280Mhz OpenGL4.2/OpenCL1.1 shaders, even at 1/10th optimal performance the GMA3150 a POS. Especially when you look at the CPUs, the AMD Z-01 and C-50 are both real dual core 64-bit CPUs at 1Ghz, All the Pineview series save for the 2 top end N550 and N570 are single core with hyperthreading and as such they are the only ones that come close to the E-350, E-450 and E2-1800 in terms of raw CPU power.

As for MPEG2 performance, it's still not all that relevant since my decade old Pentium4 can handle it. Just rip your DVDs already, the optical drive is eating more of your battery on the current crop of low end CPUs.

Comment

Looks like I'm getting an Ivy Bridge

I was hoping to wait 1 more generation, but my desktop just blew up last night so Ivy Bridge it is.

With a discrete GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      I was hoping to wait 1 more generation, but my desktop just blew up last night so Ivy Bridge it is.

With a discrete GPU.
                      What died? Not holding a s?ance to try and resurrect it?

Can't wait a few weeks for the AMD Trinity series to drop? may cause Intel to flinch and drop prices for you or may be a more compelling buy over Ivy Bridge.

Comment

Working...
                      X