No announcement yet.

ARM Publishes New Universal Linux Graphics Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, so, VIA graphics is dead right? they sold the IP to HTC (whitch seems less and less relivent as a company every day) and havent looke back since as far as i know.
    cirix. the intel x86 liscence they aquired forever ago when they bought some company was a tiny competator up untill about 5-7 years ago as far as i know. they made some tiny tiny embedded boards that back then were prety cool little integrated boards. but when intel came out with atom, VIA x86 effectivly died a silent death.
    and via arm, seems they basicaly spun that off into a company called wondermedia. i have a tiny netbook that has a wondermedia WM8650 arm soc in it. a year and a half ago it was a prety cool little thing, but as of right now, it has a weak arm cpu with basicaly a 1995 era graphics controller and some usb 2.0 hosts, and they havent really come up with anything more impressive than that recently. now you can go out and get a raspberry pi that is basicaly the same thing but with an actual 3d graphics chip for 25 usd, so VIA's wondermedia isn't doing so much right now.

other that i dont think VIA has much of anyhting going on for them. they use to have a market in the x86 northbridge and southbridge market but intel and amd killed that arena. it really sucks because they were doing all this all in one chip integration way before intel or amd were, but they just werent keeping competative enough to stay relevent enough.

Comment

What do people think that Google maybe paying or asked ARM to not be open about their architectures? Why else has ARM not come to the table in past to dished up the public drivers on Linux.

Comment

WonderMedia has these weird combos like WM8710 - old cpu core paired with GLES2.0 GPU and 1080p video accel, 1Gbps ethernet and crypto accel.

Had that been a Cortex-A9 instead of ARM11 it'd be actually nice. As it is it's cpu-bound in just about anything (though beats the Pi :P).

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: ARM Publishes New Universal Linux Graphics Driver

ARM has published a new open-source X.Org DDX Linux graphics driver while working to enable support for their next-generation ARM Mali T6xx graphics core...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEwNDU
          Why is this X based? I was under the impression Android used drm exclusively. Even maemo was non-X based iirc (matchbox, or something, though matchbox might just be the wm).

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
            Why is this X based? I was under the impression Android used drm exclusively. Even maemo was non-X based iirc (matchbox, or something, though matchbox might just be the wm).
            Why shouldn't it be X based? It's not intended for Android, it's for conventional Linux systems. X.org and Wayland are two options available for Linux right now (with Wayland being the future direction). Window manager is not the same as the graphic server. X.org (and Wayland) are graphical servers. Maemo uses X.org: http://maemo.org/packages/view/xorg/

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
              a) because they already provided the kernel side of their graphics driver years ago, so writing that it's still available wouldn't be much of a story;
              b) Maemo (and MeeGo) were both fully based on X.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
                This code will not give you free 2d or 3d acceleration. I am not sure to what extent the Samsung Exynos has a blitter and to what extent it has been made free. And as for free 3d support... Well... Arm is not delivering it, but others are, luckily.
                Yep, agree. Hopefully, it's not like someone's (hint:game company) opensource project

Comment

Ok, so how long till I can get a 10" tablet at 1920x1280 with a dockable keyboard/trackpad w/ extra battery and ports, a Cortex A-15 2.5Ghz quad with Mali-T658 GPU and 4Gb or ram running Ubuntu with fully OSS drivers for everything, including the DSP for VP8 and H.264 acceleration?

Come on, you know you all want that as it's the ultimate netbook/tablet, enough grunt for almost any task you'd want to do while on the road with ridicules battery life.

Comment

I won't count on Ubuntu. KDE Plasma Active is ahead in mobile design and in efforts to find partners to produce a tablet. You can start with something more modest like Vivaldi (Zenithink C71+). It has Mali-400 and should be released very soon (there seems to be some delay though). It'll run KDE Plasma Active on top of Mer Linux Core:

After another long "getting the details sorted" session on the phone with our manufacturing partner this morning, it looks like I'll be...

In early 2019 we, together with the Mer project, announced that we will unify Mer and Sailfish operations under the Sailfish OS domain. The blog post we released at the time explains the full rationale for the decision, but here’s a brief summary. In public Mer as a name is still in use along with Nemo, Maemo and even Meego at times. All these names are related to developing a Linux-based mobile operating system. Many of us in Jolla have been part of this story from the beginning, since the time...

Surely, having high end tablets would be also great, but a modest start is better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                      I won't count on Ubuntu. KDE Plasma Active is ahead in mobile design and in efforts to find partners to produce a tablet. You can start with something more modest like Vivaldi (Zenithink C71+). It has Mali-400 and should be released very soon (there seems to be some delay though). It'll run KDE Plasma Active on top of Mer Linux Core:
                      That's not too unrealistic.

I agree with the sentiment on the current level, example the Vivaldi. The crews for Mer,Tizen,Canonical,KDE all need to step to the side and hash out working roms for the various tablets. They need to get the ball rolling so that people can buy product, install, and spur on further development. At the moment, these crews are making the operating systems, but there's no bridge for average users to get them running on their cheap tablets. You have to dedicated a lot of time to even get a working kernel.

There are a lot of missed opportunities.

Comment

Working...
                      X