Nokia's Actions Already Harm Qt 5.0 Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Well, with the dual license, I guess that one thing people wouldn't like to see is it turning into what OpenAL is now - a once open-source project turned proprietary, with the proprietary part having all the really good features (EFX equivalent to EAX Advanced HD 5.0, for instance). OpenAL Soft couldn't match what Creative did, so what makes you certain that it will be different with Qt, in case the company that owns it turns the project proprietary?
    The KDE QT agreement kicks in and Qt goes BSD licensed?

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
      Who cares while it's GPL?

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
        Yeah sure. Im all that and I will burn in eternal flames. At least im not spearheading Qt into new markets like Digia is doing.

How about QNX?

And just because Digia is so freedom loving it is all done from Windows. talking about going non-free with a style

So much for freedom.
        So much for linux.
        You don't need Digia for QNX considering BlackBerry 10 depends on Qt now which in effect is QNX.

Comment

"Lars Knoll is planning to move Qt3D and QtLocation from being essential modules to just being add-ons."

This is sad

Nokia, you bunch of muppets!

Comment

Not to mention the widgets Digia sells are similar to Qwt which is LGPL only.

So digia hasn't done any foul here at all.
            If you take a look at the screenshots of both, you'll see they aren't the same at all. Qwt = scientific, ugly, mostly dots, lines, charting = pretty charts, pies, effects.

Completely different looks and target market.

As for the foul, this is indicative of an "open core" future. While it may not be bad _yet_, what it's pointing to is.

Comment

They(Nokia) want proven customer cases to show the paying crowd.
              That's not necessarily a bad thing. People generally do work and expect to get paid for it.

I know that when I go to work, I'm not working for free. You?

So if a portion of Qt doesn't bring in the bucks, then it makes logical sense that it wouldn't be a top priority, or outright cut.(which is the case here) I'm all in favor of these removed Qt libraries integrated directly into KDE, or as Lars suggested. At least they won't be totally killed off, if there's functionality that's necessary.

Nobody has unlimited resources. Nobody. So priority has to come into play.

And KDE is a nice puppet who follows Qt. So you will se (an attempt) to port to Qt5 even before Qt5 is ready and KDE is ready. Sad but true.
              I wouldn't be quick to go with that one. I'd imagine that the majority of KDE devs who were there during the rollout of KDE4 remember the fiasco that ensued.(which was partially due to impatient distros, but it was what it was) I don't think KDE5 will be a repeat of this. Not when you have so many people currently up in arms over GNOME3. I can only imagine the memories that brings up for various developers in the KDE camp.

Comment

The only concerns I have with Qt 5.0 are moving a way from C++ to Javascript (IMO bad) and less features (the point of the article).
                Isn't QML more advanced than Javascript? Perhaps it could even be said that it's(QML) a mix between the two?(the two, C++ and Javascript)

On Nokia's website there's quite a lot written with regards to interaction between C++ and QML.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  If you take a look at the screenshots of both, you'll see they aren't the same at all. Qwt = scientific, ugly, mostly dots, lines, charting = pretty charts, pies, effects.

Completely different looks and target market.

As for the foul, this is indicative of an "open core" future. While it may not be bad _yet_, what it's pointing to is.
                  You're right. If Qt goes open core then it will truly be sad. Right now it's just a few premande widgets (which if you put in the effort, can recreate yourself) but it could be something much more later on. They haven't touched the API yet, and it is not so bad as other companies sell premade widgets as well as classes ( http://www.kdab.com/kdab-products/kd-tools/ ). I doubt Digia will make Qt open core as they should be aware of the uproar. I think even many of the major companies invested in Qt will be very upset aswell. I don't even think they will be doing that many more premade widgets either.

So if a portion of Qt doesn't bring in the bucks, then it makes logical sense that it wouldn't be a top priority, or outright cut.(which is the case here) I'm all in favor of these removed Qt libraries integrated directly into KDE, or as Lars suggested. At least they won't be totally killed off, if there's functionality that's necessary.
                  This is not about parts of Qt not bringing in money though. It's just Nokia's downward spiral, the entire company isn't bringing in the bucks.

Isn't QML more advanced than Javascript? Perhaps it could even be said that it's(QML) a mix between the two?(the two, C++ and Javascript)

On Nokia's website there's quite a lot written with regards to interaction between C++ and QML.
                  They want QML as the focus, it's getting most of the attention.

Below is what they want from developers when they write a new Qt 5.0 application (not porting existing ones, new apps from scratch in 5.x).
                  1) do all the UI in QML, logic in C++
                  2) or do it all in QML

However QML only uses non native widgets. It doesn't use the native ones of the platform until at least Qt 5.1
                  See: http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/03/10/...s-for-desktop/

Also QML was really intended for mobile.

Comment

Yeah right. A white knight will appear and save Qt and the lords virgin daughter.

It is quite easy to avoid this happening. Just keep making yearly bugfix releases to Qt and deliver all new features in commercial addons. And to keep it proper, make partners do it. Just like Digia is doing these days. Nokia has all they need to avoid this. KDE ev.s agreement with this commercial and evil entity is not worth more than the used to sig the Munich agreement.

Comment

Yeah right. A white knight will appear and save Qt and the lords virgin daughter.

It is quite easy to avoid this happening. Just keep making yearly bugfix releases to Qt and deliver all new features in commercial addons. And to keep it proper, make partners do it. Just like Digia is doing these days. Nokia has all they need to avoid this. KDE ev.s agreement with this commercial and evil entity is not worth more than the used to sig the Munich agreement.
                      Can you make one post without FUD? Just one?

THERE ARE NO COMMERCIAL ADDONS.

They haven't touched the API.
                      They haven't added any classes.
                      It's just a few widgets to help you make pretty looking charts. The most of the same functionality is in Qwt, except Qwt is lacking in the looks department and is LGPL only. With these commercial widgets Digia's customers don't have to be obligated to the LGPL and get support (the purpose of commerical verison in the first place). There are a few things not in Qwt like Pie charts, because well this is targeted at business.

Guess what, Digia isn't alone ICS and KDAB also sell pre made widgets. Hell, ICS even has charting widgets like Digia: http://www.ics.com/products/qt/kdchart/

If they ever touched the API and fragment Qt I'll eat my hat. Digia isn't stupid, they run a business. They know it wall _harm_ their business to fragment and open core Qt, it will piss off every single Qt developer.

Besides, what does Qt need saving from, right now it is certainly not Digia. It needs saving from Nokia because they no longer care/want Qt. Let me explain what a company does when they no longer want/need an asset. Do they kill it off? No because companies like money and they would make $0 off killing it, and would only do that if there is no buyer. They sell it.
                      Also Qt is backed with many massive corporations invested in it, Nokia couldn't kill it no matter how bad they wanted to. You know when companies as big as Google, Samsung, HP, Seimens, Philips, Panasonic, Volvo, ect. are invested in Qt, they have legal clauses and other measures to ensure Qt is still around.

All the facts seem to point to a sale of Qt, there is nothing to worry about.
                      We only have to really worry if a horrible company is announced as the buyer.

So please stop spreading FUD. End your trolling. You are obivously a Gnome fanboy looking at the last thread: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...3-6#post278982
                      Whenever someone says things that prove your points wrong, you pretend nothing happend and ignore whatever was said. Your probably going to ignore half the stuff in this post too.

Comment

Working...
                      X