NVIDIA 304.37 Linux Driver Brings 41 Official Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Don't forget that this whole thing started by a bunch of kiddies shouting abuse at me, and then following it with silly arguments.
    I don't recall shouting any 'abuse' at you. I do recall telling you to relax and finding something else to do with your time other than trolling.

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    I've said what I needed to say in the first post. Release the documentation.
    You mean this post(?);

This is wonderful news!

Now I'm hoping for a "--delete-Mesa" switch, followed by "--kill-GCC", and finally "--replace-everything-with-Win8", so people have no problems anymore and nothing conflicts with the official driver.

That's exactly what we want a hardware vendor to do -- not opening specification so we can use their shit, but deleting open source software from your computer if it doesn't fit in with their secretive master plan.
    Maybe you should think about not calling other people 'kiddies', when clearly right out of the gate - you showed a severe lack of any maturity and were literally flaming from the get-go.

it is also very inaccurate to begin with. No software is 'deleted', they added a commandline option for users of the blob, to make things even more convenient for us. ~ and just so you know, i have nvidia installed, but could kill X, unload nvidia then load Nouveau and start X again (no reboot). So i don't see where you get that idea to begin with.

you need to grow up, or at least be a little more honest with yourself.
    Last edited by ninez; 17 August 2012, 01:13 PM.

Comment

No, I don't have Nvidia, I hate the fact that they are snubbing the OSS crowd and refusing to release documentation for their stuff. Instead of blacklisting nouveau -- or maybe in addition to blacklisting it -- they should also help them a bit. The fact that they don't shows that they are acting like assholes.

Same was true for ATi before the AMD takeover.
      Sorta-kinda... remember ATI also supported open source driver development until ~2002 (maybe 2003, I wasn't involved at the time) when we picked up a binary driver as part of the FireGL acquisition. There was a hope that just having a binary driver (albeit with better performance and features) would be sufficient, but over the next few years that turned out not to be the case... so now we do both.
      Test signature

Comment

• @ninez

LOL, you are telling me to take things less seriously, and you are getting all upset about an obvious hyperbole.

That whole post was tongue-in-cheek, and that's obvious.

And the kiddie is obviously RealNC. You should take your own advice some time.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Sorta-kinda... remember ATI also supported open source driver development until ~2002 (maybe 2003, I wasn't involved at the time) when we picked up a binary driver as part of the FireGL acquisition. There was a hope that just having a binary driver (albeit with better performance and features) would be sufficient, but over the next few years that turned out not to be the case... so now we do both.
          Agreed, the old r128 driver was great, I was talking about the period before the acquisition.

In general, I'm happy with the progress since then so it was not a criticism of your current efforts, even though we would all appreciate a bit more manpower (and thus pace)

Comment

• If you want Optimus functionality, use OS X or Windows.

In many ways Linux is just plain sub-par for a desktop environment.

People can argue about licenses and specs and everything else for years but the anecdotal evidence is clear: 1% market share.

I think that ends the thread now.

Comment

@ninez

LOL, you are telling me to take things less seriously, and you are getting all upset about an obvious hyperbole.

That whole post was tongue-in-cheek, and that's obvious.

And the kiddie is obviously RealNC. You should take your own advice some time.
              For one thing, I am not 'upset' in any way. For two, you have been trolling and your comment, whether tongue-in-cheek or not - doesn't change the fact, that all you have been doing in this thread is shitting all over Nvidia ~ where as the thread is actually about the release of their new driver.

three, I started out (when talking to you) by trying to figure out where you were getting your information about nvidia + dmabuf ~ and passing off a link to the source code of dmabuf and asking you for some clarification on the matter, since you seemed to be talking as if you new more about it, than had been recently discussed / news about it. ~ that is it.

again, take a chill pill.

Comment

• No hard feelings, eh? If I've offended you, sorry. Wasn't my intention.

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to have a normal discussion over here, it inevitably turns into fanboy flaming very soon. That's why I don't post much anymore, and only come for (very rare) interesting news from developers.

Comment

No hard feelings, eh? If I've offended you, sorry. Wasn't my intention.

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to have a normal discussion over here, it inevitably turns into fanboy flaming very soon. That's why I don't post much anymore, and only come for (very rare) interesting news from developers.

it turns into a fanboy flamefest when you go full retard demanding stuff at people who are NOT nvidia. The thread was about the nvidia drivers NOT about "fuck nvidia" or "nvidia needs to open their drivers"

Comment

• Originally posted by Naib View Post
                    it turns into a fanboy flamefest when you go full retard demanding stuff at people who are NOT nvidia.
                    What did I demand from people who are not Nvidia?

Do you think obvious lying on the internet will make me look stupid, or make you stupid?
                    The thread was about the nvidia drivers NOT about "fuck nvidia" or "nvidia needs to open their drivers"
                    The thread was (in part) about nvidia drivers blacklisting nouveau. That's when I bemoaned nvidia's treatment of nouveau. The off-topic stuff was brought about by other people.

Comment

No hard feelings, eh? If I've offended you, sorry. Wasn't my intention.
                      No hard feelings at all You haven't offended me either, i was just trying to get to the bottom of where you were coming from, and later just trying to set the record straight on a few things ~ hopefully, likewise you haven't taken anything i have said too personally ~ as my intention was not to attack you personally.

Well, you have to remember this is an nvidia thread, many of the people reading/posting are in fact, nvidia (blob) users. Your comments (whether tongue-in-cheek, joking or othwise) were attracting some negative attention and weren't all that useful - especially when clearly, you don't like Nvidia and obviously prefer Intel. And like i said, i do believe intel is doing a good job and providing a decent linux experience and they should be applauded for those efforts, likewise AMD releasing specs and contributing in important ways should also be appreciated.
                      But Nvidia (although using a different development model) also does a good job at providing good drivers, they may not be perfect ~ no driver is and frankly 'perfection' is something to strive towards, not necessarily something attainable.

anyway, again no hard-feelings

cheerz

Comment

Working...
                      X