Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA-API Video Decoding Support For Wayland

Phoronix: VA-API Video Decoding Support For Wayland

One of the many items that Intel developers have been working on for the rapid ascent of Wayland is GPU video decoding support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just trying to hijack the thread: I just thought I might try out vaapi under Ubuntu 11.10 with Xorg edgers on a Lenovo X220 (sandy bridge). So vlc -v --ffmpeg-hw seems to work for simple movies, but my high quality films fail with only one garbled frame every 10 seconds or so:

Code:
    [0x286dcf0] dts decoder: DTS channels:6 samplerate:48000 bitrate:768000
    libva: VA-API version 0.32.0
    libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
    libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
    libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
    [0x15fc230] avcodec decoder: Using VA API version 0.32 for hardware decoding.
    QPixmap::handle(): Pixmap is not an X11 class pixmap
    [0x7f482c000980] signals interface warning: signal 17 overridden (0x7f482880f6c0)
    [0x7f482c000980] signals interface warning:  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtCore.so.4(?)[(nil)]
    [0x7f482c0548e0] main video output warning: vlc_object_find_name(postproc) is not safe!
    [0x160f9f0] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (-30050), dropping buffer
    Stream with high frequencies VQ coding
    [0x7f482c0548e0] main video output warning: late picture skipped (21445 > -622)
    [0x7f482c0548e0] main video output warning: late picture skipped (251609 > -577)
    I suppose it has something todo with "Stream with high frequencies VQ coding".

Shouldn't they rather focus on getting their stuff fixed on X before moving to Wayland?

PS:

Code:
    vainfo -h 
    libva: VA-API version 0.32.0
    libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
    libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
    libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
    vainfo: VA-API version: 0.32 (libva 1.0.15)
    vainfo: Driver version: i965 Driver 0.1
    vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
          VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileH264Baseline           : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileVC1Simple              : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileVC1Main                : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
    Last edited by AnonymousCoward; 12 February 2012, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Word Nazi report: VDPAU stands for "Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix", you skipped "Presentation" in your article.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
        Just trying to hijack the thread
        That's not very nice of you. But since nobody is interested in the actual topic here goes:

I suppose it has something todo with "Stream with high frequencies VQ coding".
        That's from the audio codec, so it probably has nothing to do with it.
        But the following are surely related:
        Code:
        [0x7f482c0548e0] main video output warning: late picture skipped (21445 > -622)
        [0x7f482c0548e0] main video output warning: late picture skipped (251609 > -577)
        Shouldn't they rather focus on getting their stuff fixed on X before moving to Wayland?
        Unless their hardware actually can't handle such high bit-rates? Usually hardware decoders only support lower levels of quality. You should search the Intel site for a document with the limitations of your exact CPU.

Comment

Working...
        X