No announcement yet.

AMD Fusion E-350 Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The multicore results are likely the most appropriate ones to look at here. AMD have decided that CPUs are pretty much well fast enough for the most common uses, so their focus is turning towards parallel workloads (including multiple applications running simultaneously).
    Looks to be paying off.

Comment

Max Spain: There is a jumper on the board, called Turbo Key II. That one shorted supposedly activates the overclocking features of the "BIOS" (UEFI, actually).

Comment

Thanks Brent. I know that 720p is borderline on a single core atom but everything faster should do it. That's why I was confused when the article said that there are problems with 720p video material.

However, how is the situation with Flash and 720p? I know that my dualcore 1.83GHz Intel T2400 is just fast enough to decode it in software and fullscreen. I believe that this processor is a bit faster than the E-350. Does that mean that so far Flash 720p won't work well on the E-350?

Lots of Youtube videos are now working with HTML5 but I don't want to run into problems with the ones that are not available yet. I can wait for a faster Fusion platform.

Comment

Originally posted by mastereye View Post
          Lots of Youtube videos are now working with HTML5 but I don't want to run into problems with the ones that are not available yet. I can wait for a faster Fusion platform.
          I think the platform is fine (check available review of the low-end C-50 netbooks out there, like the Aspire One D522), the main issue is that the recently open-sourced XvBA has to mature and make it into media players.

Comment

AMD has not provided open-source support or public documentation on any generation of the UVD engine due to fear it may compromise their Digital Rights Management support under other operating systems (Microsoft Windows). It is unlikely this lack of open-source accelerated video support for AMD hardware will change anytime soon.
            WTF is all the radeon open source driver and chipset effort for? I thought that in the future AMD merges CPU + GPU into one chip and went open source to not worry about any seperated binary drivers anymore (like Intel).

The stupid lawyers and drm harm developement enough already... it seems the only easy going way is to use Intel chipset with Intel graphics

p.s. sorry, but I used and supported AMD with radeon cards for years now... if I have to use binary drivers I am going Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
              WTF is all the radeon open source driver and chipset effort for? I thought that in the future AMD merges CPU + GPU into one chip and went open source to not worry about any seperated binary drivers anymore (like Intel)..
              Sorry, but you thought wrong. AMD has always been very honest that they think their binary drivers are and will remain necessary. The OSS effort is on top of that, not replacing it.

Comment

But it is frustrating...
                xrandr ATI drivers have problems, xrandr NVIDIA drivers have problems, ATI and xorg is usually 1-3 versions behind, NVIDIA and xorg is usually 1-3 versions behind... I am pretty sure you all that anyway

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
                  But it is frustrating...
                  xrandr ATI drivers have problems, xrandr NVIDIA drivers have problems, ATI and xorg is usually 1-3 versions behind, NVIDIA and xorg is usually 1-3 versions behind... I am pretty sure you all that anyway
                  That's why open drivers exist.

Comment

I just joined the AMD Fusion camp. Got my E-350 powered notebook this week and it's amazing. With the Catalyst, everything works, from suspend, to setting up external monitors through HDMI etc. although right now, I am running Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity and the opensource stack through xorg-edgers. I. LOVE. MY. NOTEBOOK.

The future is Fusion

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                      I just joined the AMD Fusion camp. Got my E-350 powered notebook this week and it's amazing. With the Catalyst, everything works, from suspend, to setting up external monitors through HDMI etc. although right now, I am running Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity and the opensource stack through xorg-edgers. I. LOVE. MY. NOTEBOOK.
                      Nice

Were you able to get video decoding acceleration using XBMC or mplayer? I think that's pretty much the only thing keeping me from a similar laptop.

Comment

Working...
                      X