No announcement yet.

OpenGL 3.0 Features For Intel Ironlake Unlikely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generation before Ironlake has 2.0 under Windows and 2.1 under Linux. The one before that it's 1.5 on Windows and 1.4 on Linux.

Comment

Intel might not want to support OpenGL 3.x on this chipset, but they should definitely support full VA-API capabilities on Ironlake. Do they? People with this chip aren't hardcore gamers and video playback is far more important than 3D/gaming capability.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        Intel might not want to support OpenGL 3.x on this chipset, but they should definitely support full VA-API capabilities on Ironlake. Do they? People with this chip aren't hardcore gamers and video playback is far more important than 3D/gaming capability.
        vaapi does work on ironlake

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
          vaapi does work on ironlake
          yes it works, but question is does was does it implement all the features that are currently implemented in VAAPI. Xorg Wiki states that it MOSLTY implements H.264 features on Gen5 meaning that some parts might be missing. Dunno which as it does in fact work for me

From currently implemented features in VAAPI itself it does not do Encoding, however it was never clear to me whether it does not have hardware capabilities or just was never implemented in the driver. If any one tried it with any DVB card they could probably say more about its deinterlancing capabilities or other Video processing features whether they are supported or not

As far as the VAAPI itself goes it still could use quite wider software adoption. For instance I could never understand why it would not get included in the mplayer git and the code itself grows roots in the outside branch with no commits for several months. XBMC could use taking another look at the several months old additional code as well

Well guys maybe it is Your chance??
          Intel right now is employing 20~30 open-source Linux graphics driver developers but they are interested in hiring more talented Linux developers.

Comment

@przemoli

I don't know what you expect from the Windows driver code. Intel's Windows driver is much, much more buggy, and lower quality. This despite the many more people it has on that team.

It doesn't exactly harbor pieces of excellence, and any secret tips on hw the Intel linux team already has access to.

Comment

When I played HL2 Ep 1 under wine on my Core i3 550 (Gen5), it wasn?t damn slow. But it ultimately crashed. It?s too bad Valve and Intel can?t support two and a half year old processors*.

*yes, I?m talking about the date I bought it. The release date doesn?t matter if they are still selling it long after that.

Comment

Mesa folks will not support OpenGL compatibility profile.

So its either 2.1 with extensions and all those goodies.
                Or 3.x on core profile and no deprecated functionality.

So any app using 3.x renderer will use "modern" parts of api.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                  Mesa folks will not support OpenGL compatibility profile.

So its either 2.1 with extensions and all those goodies.
                  Or 3.x on core profile and no deprecated functionality.

So any app using 3.x renderer will use "modern" parts of api.
                  3.0 is provided with all the backwards compatibility. It's 3.1 and up that are only available via the core profiles.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                    And I just love how AMD/Intel started to put more emphasis on "docs are here, code is flos, what do you wait for? CODE!"
                    That has been AMD's position all along. We never said we were going to write the open source driver ourselves. The plan as always been to contribute to and aid the development of the community-based open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                      Generation before Ironlake has 2.0 under Windows and 2.1 under Linux. The one before that it's 1.5 on Windows and 1.4 on Linux.
                      I have an old ultra-portable lying around and its GMA 4000MHD, the generation before Ironlake, reports as OpenGL 2.1 in Windows with 17/23 extension support for OGL3.0 and 2/8 for OGL3.1 using the OpenGL Extension Viewer. Whether you'd actually want to use those newer extensions, either due to performance or bugs, is another matter of course.

For reference, the missing OGL3.0 extensions are: GLSL 1.30, APPLE_flush_buffer_range, EXT_framebuffer_multisample, EXT_gpu_shader4, EXT_texture_array, and EXT_texture_integer. If the GMA 4000MHD can be so close to OGL3.0, you'd think Ironlake would be even closer if not technically fully compatible in hardware.
                      Last edited by ltcommander.data; 25 February 2013, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X