No announcement yet.

Mess Mess Mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't need that on a 1024x768 screen which is what I use Windows on right now. But what about big Full HD widescreens? There's enough space for three programs next to each other on them.

Comment

Just to add: then I can have Windows Live Movie Maker at the left and the Videos folder on the right. That would be useful for me if I had a wider screen.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        I did myself a favor and drop that virus crap long time ago. I just keep it for gaming and it's still damn depressing. BSOD with Catalyst and realtek audio drivers.
        BSOD? running windows 98 still eh, If you want you can send me a PM I can help you configure your misconfigured windows box.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnXfce View Post
          Linux has always been a fight with windmills for me. Always something, always a shit comes in the way. Always. Why there cannot anything be normal. Jesus I am just a normal person. Just want to turn the computer and forget the geek stuff. Plug and Play.
          You can, its called a Macintosh. I normally utterly despise this saying, but this is one of those "you get what you pay for" moments. The more you pay for a computer, generally the less work you need to do. This applies to linux as well - pay someone who set it up for you and you don't have to worry about anything. Pay for enterprise and you've got support staff.

Here's what I've encountered. And apparently there has been no no solution and nobody in a billion dollar companies want to make a small change. One clever person with $ 75k p.a. would be sufficient. But noooo. They have to sweam in honey and tell people to GFT.
          Billion dollar companies do help develop linux, it's just not their responsibility or priority to fix up problems like your driver issues, and its not profitable to them. Companies like IBM and Toyota develop toward linux, but they don't give a crap about YOUR problems, they develop the kernel and other programs that probably don't depend on a GUI.

*Intel= ugly video tearing, some window tearing, crushing under vaapi, freezing menus, system crashes under file dragging
          I've used a crappy i915 GPU and that doesn't have any kind of tearing. I don't use vaapi so I can't speak on that. What DE are you using that causes freezing menus and crashing under file dragging? I've never encountered that even when CPU load was at 100%.

*AMD= Catalysts/fglrx = choppy video playback, disgusting video tearing, ugly window tearing, complete instability leading to crashes
          I've used fglrx on KDE 4 and have had a VERY smooth experience. Unlike most people, I actually don't encounter almost any issues when I use the catalyst drivers. I do however get problems with the radeon drivers to work on my 5750.

*Nvida= ugly video tearing, tearing windows, videos freezing with NVDPAU, no crashes.Linux has no use for end user whatsoever.
          I haven't used the proprietary drivers in a while, but I'm currently using the open source ones and I'm not getting any tearing right now. I have a somewhat crappy framerate, but no tearing. Also, if stuff like vaapi and vdpau crash, STOP USING THEM. That's like putting a trailer on a hybrid car and you're complaining because it won't go uphill.

And yet NO SYNC TO VBLANK for any graphics. SHAME and DISGUST!
          Actually, there is. The proprietary drivers specifically let you choose, the intel drivers (AFAIK) have vsync on by default, and many DEs have the option to turn it on and off. If you're using a non-composited DE, maybe it just simply can't vsync.

The major question is WHEEEEEEEEEEN is the fix coming? Who of any Linux coders and contributors to Xorg or kernel called them? Does anyone including Linus watches videos under Linux? Apparently not.
          There doesn't need to be a fix because it already exists. Either pick different drivers, get a different GPU, use a different DE, or stop using linux. You've got 4 choices, and 2 of them don't involve payment of any kind.

Apple OS and Android do not have these issues, so who gives a fuck? Right?
          You do...

The most important is that the shitty spywarey mess from google named Android is included in the kernel, because everyone on their laptops and desktops need that shit, I believe. The need of Torvalds to work for Google is more important. Wee don't give a fuck about Google. We useers will not work for Google or intend to work. We are just a bunch of morons who want to watch videos on their computers. But who gives a fuck. GFY yousers.
          That grammatical nightmare of a rant shows how you aren't thinking clearly.

Honorable mention:
          Kernel Developers:
          9months, Ralink 5390sta pci WiFi has been open sourced and released under GPL, but yet we still have to deal with bad 2800pci for donkeys versions of kernel releases. WTF? Under Windows the latest drivers are like Lamborghini with a tank torque. 2800pci?
          What is this "2800pci" you speak of? But besides that, nobody is forcing you to use linux on your own time. Nobody is forcing you to use Ralink drivers. Most importantly, if you don't like how something is done, do it yourself, pay someone to do it, or deal with it.

Shove the up yours.?
          Excellent question, I wish I knew the answer.

Comment

Works For Me (c)

Comment

Don't even know if this topic could be considered trolling, or it's just a bad case of PEBKAC. I haven't booted in Windows for weeks now, might as well ditch it altogether. Everything works well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ariendj View Post
                Ditto. I still have to use it at work though.

Funny thing is that the product is called Windows and yet it doesn't even have a decent window manager :-D

More than 2 windows side by side? Who needs that anyway? ;-)
                Yes, that's very funny. My Linux box has more "windows" than Windows ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by soupbowl View Post
                  BSOD? running windows 98 still eh, If you want you can send me a PM I can help you configure your misconfigured windows box.
                  XP SP3. I know how to configure Windows, because I started from dos and went through 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista and 7. Some Windows drivers are simply messed up (and system itself). Windows 7 didn't fix BSOD (so I don't understand why did you mention 98), but it contains bugs from dos era which probably won't be fixed till a complete rewrite, so it's justiciable.
                  Last edited by kraftman; 13 May 2012, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    Works For Me (c)
                    Signed by Microsoft.

Comment

I believe JohnXfce is just a troll. He posted on the 10th and hasn't revisited the issue to back up his rant

There are a lot of half truths, but that's pretty much it. A lot of what John mentioned is also false, like amd catalyst and i915 freezing and crashing when dragging windows. That actually sounds like a poorly configured distribution with mismatched kernel modules or or X / mesa combos.

In that case, I'm not going to read any more of his stuff until he gives us more info rather than spilling orange juice on everyone's shirts.

Comment

Working...
                      X