Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    They drop support without offering an open UVD solution. Very bad
    Christian is quiet from long time now, I hope he jump with h264 shader decoder soon for VDPAU.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
      Christian is quiet from long time now, I hope he jump with h264 shader decoder soon for VDPAU.
      I've been really impressed with the r600g vdpau support - it's nearly there and works great on my on Phenom 2 IGP machine

Comment

so what?

the open source driver is coming alon nicely

and

nobody forces you to update X or kernel. And seriously, most desktop users hardly ever need to.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Any particular reason you want that card? I noticed that with the open source drivers, cards within the same series tend to have roughly the same performance. If I were you I'd get something like a HD4550.
          I am a student with small budget. For me, this is an investment. With every update of graphic stack the card will gain more performance. It has the highest difference of nominal and true performance, but will gain most, too. I would have bought a HD 5 series top card, if it were cheaper. but the difference of price is too high. I just can't afford one.

Comment

You can throw your money out of the window with the same result. I am not fully satisfied with intel oss drivers, but at least vaapi works there. Why would somebody buy a NEW dedicated card that is already consided legacy? I would not even spend a cent on an amd card - the drivers are just too bad. At least i only needed to get some new cf bridges to test, the cards itself i got for free. Basically hd 5 series works with oss as well, for hdmi audio you need kernel 3.3. But compared to nvidia where you also can use nouveau i see absolutely NOTHING that is better for pure linux users. If you only have got low linux driver expectations and play your games with win then you can buy amd (but you would never buy a dx10 card for win, thats not logical).

Comment

The support will live on in a legacy branch of Catalyst, but that branch for Linux users will not be updated with new X.Org Server and Linux kernel support.
              Gosh, when did they start supporting latest xorg and kernels?

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                nobody forces you to update X or kernel. And seriously, most desktop users hardly ever need to.
                Nice point - Ubuntu 12.04 LTS have five years support by the way. More than enough to wait for UVD support in R600g.

Comment

I'm not that worried as I plan to buy an HD7870 when they hit the discount range. I currently own a HD3870 in my main system. Any longer and it wont be worth using for 3D games as it's way too slow. I may have been tempted to buy early but the drivers are still green.
                  Last edited by e8hffff; 20 April 2012, 11:42 AM.

Comment

We need stability

Hello Linux kernel developers! Real companies with real products NEED stable APIs and ABIs. It allows them to apply the fire and forget strategy. On windows a driver that was written 10 years ago will continue to work reliably indefinitely. On Linux you need to maintain your past products in a perpetual manner. This costs loads of time and money. How hard is to understand simple facts?
                    Last edited by zoomblab; 20 April 2012, 11:49 AM.

Comment

AMD disappoints again.
                      Can we at least get UVD specs for the dropped parts? If they are legacy, no issues now, right?

Because I tend to make my computers last, it seems that once again we confirm that it's a really bad idea to buy AMD graphics. Note taken.
                      I was using a X1300 with flgrx when they dropped support. Guess what I'm still using now?

Comment

Working...
                      X