Mir 0.0.5 Released; Kubuntu Will Stick To X/Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teho View Post
    No it is not. XMir is a backend for X.org. It exactly the same implementation. The X.org server is then a client for Mir.

It uses the exactly same libaries. It's just a different backend.

It does add another layer; Mir itself. It will goes like this:

KWin -> X.org -> "Hardware"
    to
    KWin -> X.org/XMir -> Mir -> "Hardware"
    mmm, I see, then I guess we are left with some really needed benchmarks to see how much this affects the performance.

Comment

KWin -> X.org/XMir -> Mir -> "Hardware"
      Don't forget that Mir is totally unneeded here as XMir does all the compositing. All Mir does is receiving the rendered image from XMir and printing it on the screen (like a full screen window). So in fact X is doing all the work here and Mir is just a unneeded layer.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
        Don't forget that Mir is totally unneeded here as XMir does all the compositing. All Mir does is receiving the rendered image from XMir and printing it on the screen (like a full screen window). So in fact X is doing all the work here and Mir is just a unneeded layer.
        So thats the same method used on XWayland?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
          I'm going to install Kubuntu on XMir. Where's your god now.
          I think "He" is probably smiling thinking at what happens when you resize an Xmir window.
          Didn't you ask yourself why in that youtube video the windows are never resized ?

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
            So thats the same method used on XWayland?
            Yes. The idea is to run only specific apps with XWayland/XMir not entire desktops like it's done here. So you get the real benefits later when you run most of your apps natively on Mir/Wayland.

Comment

Yes. The idea is to run only specific apps with XWayland/XMir not entire desktops like it's done here. So you get the real benefits later when you run most of your apps natively on Mir/Wayland.
              That makes things clear.

I'm looking forward for some benchmarks to see how performance is affected at all because of rendering the image with Mir instead of X itself.

Comment

well in the case of xwayland it actually faster than native Xorg due to the way wayland works[i explained 400 times look for it in the forum] but in the case of XMir is not clear since even if do thing similarly is still quite different compared to wayland, beside wayland support a wide set feature that aren't still present[or ever will] in Mir that really helps certain operations to happen with lot less roundtrips like EXA.

as other thing Mir don't support bufferage extension that im aware of, so im not sure how they will deal with VSync and partial damage on screen when compositing

i guess it will be test and see[not me tho i don't give a rat ass about ubuntu anymore, gentoo is my mistress now]

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  I'm going to install Kubuntu on XMir. Where's your god now.
                  Best quote in this mir vs wayland issue! laughed my ass off ;p

(btw, that quote shows really good what this is all about. its not about technical issue solving but politics and emotions (and religion))

Comment

The Kubuntu developer is right. There is literally zero reason to use Mir right now. X will continue to be supported in the mean while, so running Kubuntu on XMir is just adding an additional potential source of bugs for no benefit. It makes no sense to do so. If there are some Mir-specific programs that would be very useful on Kubuntu, the issue could be revisited. On the other hand, by that time KDE Frameworks 5 will probably be finished, thus Wayland will be the obvious choice for them.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
                      Best quote in this mir vs wayland issue! laughed my ass off ;p

(btw, that quote shows really good what this is all about. its not about technical issue solving but politics and emotions (and religion))
                      Why thank you. (Takes a bow) I'm glad someone saw what I was doing there. ;p

Comment

Working...
                      X