Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total War: Rome II To Be Ported To Linux For SteamOS

Phoronix: Total War: Rome II To Be Ported To Linux For SteamOS

Thanks to Valve's SteamOS Linux distribution, Creative Assembly is going to be bringing their popular Total War game series to Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

lol

Well, this will officially be the crappiest game ever released for Linux Or maybe only the Linux version will work, forcing players to install Lin

Comment

I guess it's a win win for them, since the Steam controller is their only hope to provide something with acceptable gameplay on a console.

Comment

I have never tried any of the games in this series, though I am much more likely to do so if a working Linux version will materialize.

Comment

As cool as this port is, but I hardly doubt that it is a monetizing success for them.
          Just remember the 1% Linux share on Steam.
          Hopefully SteamOS can improve this.

Comment

Well, I think the point is that while the Linux share is ~1%, it is more of a SteamOS port which will hopefully bring a much larger Linux market share when it is released. Basically, they aren't really porting to 'Linux', that is more a byproduct of bring it to SteamOS. That said, the Total War series is pretty much one of the last things keeping a Windows partition on my desktop - and if they backport their catalog that would pretty much allow me to say goodbye to Windows

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
              As cool as this port is, but I hardly doubt that it is a monetizing success for them.
              Just remember the 1% Linux share on Steam.
              Hopefully SteamOS can improve this.
              5 million steam users * 1% is 50,000. Yeah that's pretty low, 1% of that is 500. If they sell the game for $30, they can make $15,000 or about 150 hours worth of work. Is 150 hours to port a game like this to Linux feasible? If not they are gambling that Steam Box takes off. I will probably buy it, I have never gotten into a strategy game before.

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
                Well, I think the point is that while the Linux share is ~1%, it is more of a SteamOS port which will hopefully bring a much larger Linux market share when it is released. Basically, they aren't really porting to 'Linux', that is more a byproduct of bring it to SteamOS. That said, the Total War series is pretty much one of the last things keeping a Windows partition on my desktop - and if they backport their catalog that would pretty much allow me to say goodbye to Windows
                Agree a lot of windows users will be able to switch. From the Stats, is in the top 10 most played:

Top selling and top played games across Steam

maybe we can also get civ V

Comment

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
                  5 million steam users * 1% is 50,000. Yeah that's pretty low, 1% of that is 500. If they sell the game for $30, they can make $15,000 or about 150 hours worth of work. Is 150 hours to port a game like this to Linux feasible? If not they are gambling that Steam Box takes off.
                  actually Steam is said to have 50M users. So 1% means there could be as much as 500,000 linux users/ accounts (sometimes even 2% when dual booters boot back to linux and get their games).

5M is the daily "Concurrent Steam Users". See the stats. So yea at any one day there might be 50k linux users online.

I will probably buy it, I have never gotten into a strategy game before.
                  you can try 0.A.D. and see if you like the Genre.

Comment

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
                    5 million steam users * 1% is 50,000. Yeah that's pretty low, 1% of that is 500. If they sell the game for $30, they can make $15,000 or about 150 hours worth of work. Is 150 hours to port a game like this to Linux feasible? If not they are gambling that Steam Box takes off. I will probably buy it, I have never gotten into a strategy game before.
                    Your math is strange. First, it doesn't matter as they will target steamOS users, secondly why do you assume only 1 per cent of Linux users will buy the game? This is based on... stars? Tarot?

Comment

Working...
                    X