No announcement yet.

EXT4 File-System Looks To Do Well Against NTFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More interesting would be benchmarking NTFS-3g vs Windows 7 NTFS. I've heard the performance is very good with NTFS-3g, and there's apparently a souped-up embedded version that's crazy fast.
    That would be an interesting test.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
      This is Phoronix that is doing the benchmarking. I think we can assume it was running if it was not specified otherwise.
      Does Windows 7 has antivirus for default?

Comment

Like always they use default settings, so windows defender will probably run. Its fair to assume, that >90% of the W7 users will leave it that way. Sure all those tests are far from being fair or objective, but if you are comparing apples and oranges, you still might be able to draw a conclusion which tastes better.
        And I would also like to see a NTFS-3G being thrown into the mix.
        And while some tests are quite questionable, the wall-powered tests doesn't seem to be a big letdown. I'd assume Linux wouldn't magically activate all the power-saving options only when running on batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          Does Windows 7 has antivirus for default?
          By default Windows Defender is active and it has a significant performance hit upon file operations.

Not knowing if it is enabled or not makes these tests pointless.

It wouldn't make sense if antivirus was running, so you can be nearly sure it wasn't.
          I've asked a question, I expect an answer not a wild guess. Assumptions are meaningless.

Comment

One thing that is important to note, are the drives running in AHCI mode or IDE Mode and if running in AHCI mode are you using the built in microsoft drivers or Intels chipset drivers. There is quite a performance difference between the modes and drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by dashcloud View Post
              More interesting would be benchmarking NTFS-3g vs Windows 7 NTFS. I've heard the performance is very good with NTFS-3g, and there's apparently a souped-up embedded version that's crazy fast.
              That would be an interesting test.
              NTFS-3g seems to use an insanely poor block allocation strategy. I copied a couple hundred gigabytes of files, ranging in size from a few KB to several GB, to a fresly-formatted NTFS partition using NTFS-3g. Accessing the files was incredibly slow, so I ran the Windows defragmenter. 70% of the files had 2 or more fragments, and it was actually so bad that 20 files failed to defragment (a couple of them happened to be sparse VM images). All of the blocks were scattered around the center of the partition, negating the read performance benefits and lack of fragmentation one would expect to achieve by copying files onto a fresh partition.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                As I recall, ext3 (out-of-the-box) was somewhat faster than a optimized ext4 (write barrier disabled, we were using a huge FC storage).
                And both were ~12-20x faster then 2K8 NTFS.
                - Gilboa
                That's been my limited experience - NTFS isn't just slow it's abysmal.

That ext4 is 'on par' with it really points to ext4 being a very very poor choice. (and probably that the benchmark wasn't done very well).

Comment

The ntfs-3g port to OpenSolaris is also slow. (Yes, "famous troll is back")

Comment

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
                    The ntfs-3g port to OpenSolaris is also slow. (Yes, "famous troll is back")
                    If ntfs is slow it's port will be slow too right? Ntfs-3g is probably noticeably slower then native. ("He didn't show papers ever, but he was considering all the time he did, it was so funny :>").

Comment

+1 for the ntfs-3g idea. You could also benchmark the in-kernel ntfs performance for read-only tests. And maybe WinXP too?

Comment

Working...
                      X