No announcement yet.

GNOME 4.0, GNOME OS Coming In 2014 & Other Crazy Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every DE except LXDE and Unity has major priority issues (not that Unity doesn't have issues, but it is moving toward its goal):

Both GNOME and KDE keep focusing on things that they never had to touch in the first place, such as how they both have their own office suites, web browsers, instant messengers, music players, etc. - things that have no reason to be DE centric. This particularly annoys me because none of these types of programs are better than the DE-neutral alternatives, and many distros include them due to being the default or more integration. I don't have a problem with a core program having different GUIs depending on the DE, such as recordmydesktop. There's a GTK and a Qt version of that, and I think that's perfectly reasonable.

As for other DEs, Enlightment focuses more on special effects than functionality and XFCE keeps tacking on features while somehow self-praising itself as being light-weight. I personally find XFCE's default programs (such as text editors, file browsers, etc) to be the worst of all DEs.

I'm currently only using LXDE right now because its the only DE I have found where the developers strictly focus on improving the GUI and nothing else. I don't want developers spending time on half-assed programs and features with blatant superior alternatives. It just divides the attention to things that really matter, the things that everybody of a DE would use.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

Both GNOME and KDE keep focusing on things that they never had to touch in the first place, such as how they both have their own office suites, web browsers, instant messengers, music players, etc. - things that have no reason to be DE centric. This particularly annoys me because none of these types of programs are better than the DE-neutral alternatives, and many distros include them due to being the default or more integration. I don't have a problem with a core program having different GUIs depending on the DE, such as recordmydesktop. There's a GTK and a Qt version of that, and I think that's perfectly reasonable.
      Evience is also a good example its one of the best programms ever, very clean fast and does what it should do perfectly. Way better than the adobe alternative, and way better than xpdf... so its not always stupid to build such stuff, but even on the browserside if I would have to choose between firefox and epiphany I would go for epiphany... but at the moment I prefer chromium more... but we will see what gnome does here... it does not make gnome harder to support if maybe epiphany gets only small mini bugfixes for years and only from then to then sometimes they get some bigger updates so it does not hurt the project much.

then there is totem and gstreamer, I like them much more than vlc. lately I use umplayer because with the zacate system its faster... then gstreamer, it was gnome-centric maybe sometime but it seems to become nearly a starndard I think even kde uses it now? So if the devs do develop it because they like to do it and they would not develop other stuff, you gain nothing by saying to them that they should stop making such stuff...

Gnome-office I dont use office suits much, but when I do I often only need a small letter without much magic before libreoffice was there, openoffice was a static monster a dinosaurier, its like using a tank to drive to the supermarket... So yes I sometimes used abiword for do that or using tk-brief or something... maybe libreoffice makes that code so fast that its also good and fast for small things, we will see ^^

gnumeric is also not bad... so to save yoru ram or reduce loading time of it, such small things arent that bad...
      And with odt why not have additional office suits? It does not hurt anybody... you are not forced to use it, and maybe there would be less such programms if the big projekts would have made their stuff looking nativ in kde/gnome better and sooner... instead of focusing on windows.

the comparsion is maybe not 100% accurate, but its a bit like blaming microsoft for giving you wordpad when there are better free/non-free alternatives availibe... I think to have a basic editior pre installed is a good idea and something that feels simple... instead of a thing that works better for programmers.
      Last edited by blackiwid; 28 July 2012, 06:21 PM.

Comment

good thing about contributing to open source is that you can integrate the things you like, thus like integrating them(if the caretakers agree that it wont bother the rest of the..thing)
        bad thing is some people dont suggest on how to improve, but go to extremes

i, as alot of people, have voiced what bothers me (the touch orientation thing)
        but i installed fluxbox and am happy with it(i think xfce is a great as a gnome 2.x alternative, and install it for newbies) as fluxbox shares my passion for simplicity

Comment

Let me check...no....it's not April 1st...weird....

Comment

Let's see, Linux has gained like 0,1-0,2% of desktop users for the past 10 years and they aim to get a hundred times more?

That's called wishful thinking at best.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              Let's see, Linux has gained like 0,1-0,2% of desktop users for the past 10 years and they aim to get a hundred times more?

haha nice joke, if there would be only 0,1-0,2% desktop users, than I would not get week after week 10 linux magazines on my kiosk... we both have not accurate numbers, and how do you cound dualboots? so I say another number what I think would be more realistic something about 2-5%. And do you only count private desktops or also desktops on workplaces? but I think my numbers are way more accurate than your numbers...

and thats only the numbers here in germany and maybe in america and other western countries, in other countries with more users the linux-quote should be higher.
              and if you count android its on the way to the market leader... so it depends strongly how you count... and yes android tablets/notebooks I would count also as desktop. and if you dont call it desktop... (desktop replacement) then you have to realise that more cell phones and more laptops gets selled than classic "desktops"
              Last edited by blackiwid; 28 July 2012, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Both GNOME and KDE keep focusing on things that they never had to touch in the first place, such as how they both have their own office suites, web browsers, instant messengers, music players, etc. - things that have no reason to be DE centric.
                KDE is a huge community. People mostly work on their freetime on project they like. It doesn't take away resources from developement of Plasma when people work on Calligra and so on. I would say that KDE Telepathy is the best instant messager available on any platform and its future looks very bright. Krita is the best open source drawing application available and it's part of Calligra Suite. digiKam is the best phono organizer for Linux. Kdenlive is the best open source non-linear video editor for Linux. KDE offers excellent libaries so why not use them?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

At UDS, Canonical's VP of OEM Services claimed that Ubuntu will be installed on 5% of all computers next year. The Ubuntu developers also announced their intention to fork the GNOME Control Center

I have here some numbers, so even on the preinstalled market (there are not that counted that install linux on their windows pc or the pc with freedos or something like that)

Kenyon said in his talk that Ubuntu was shipped pre-installed on eight to ten million computers worldwide last year. Canonical expects this to increase to eighteen million next year, which they calculate to be five per cent of the total market.
                  so if we say the 18 million are 5% of the sold systems and lets say today its 9million (8-10 million) it would be the half so even preinstalled desktop-systems are at 2,5% and I think we can agree that more more of the 97,5% of the rest of the market mostly windows but also freedos users have switched to linux than from the 2,5% switched back to windows. It is a very high change that I am right here. So my 2-5% is very realistic if not a conservative guess.

I dont know how is the market share in india or china or russia or other countries so maybe we are because of that states even nearly at 10% today. but ok thats a wild guess... ohh and I forget, thats only the preinstalled Ubuntu pcs not linux in generall, so the real numbers are even higher today...

so even if I ignore that this 2,5% are only the ubuntu installs not linux in general and 50% of this 2,5% users switched back to windows and only 5% of the windows/freedos users installed manuelly linux we are at ~ 6% market share of linux... maybe thats even bad, but 20% of linux market share is not that cracy (but again they even admit that they most likely will not reach this goals but they want to set high goals because small goals doesnt help...)
                  Last edited by blackiwid; 28 July 2012, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Dumb

So there you have it -- Gnome3, a DE which suddenly is designed for Tablets but doesn't run on any Tablet that exists on Earth.

Why couldn't they make a Gnome tablet spin-off and just left the desktop alone? Why did they have to kill Gnome2 in favor of this rubbish? Do they really have big enough balls to create a new desktop environment and kill a very popular and functional one and then tell us it's not designed for desktop use? Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

I hate Unity but I can't blame Ubuntu for distancing themselves from Gnome..

My prediction is in 2020 Gnome still won't run on any tablets and even if they do manage to push a tablet out, it will fade to obscurity in the blink of an eye. KDE released a tablet, which probably 200 people on the planet own but at least they didn't destroy KDE and alienate their user base to make it.

The tablet fad is ridiculous, people will be using desktops and laptops for a very long time. It's sad that open source is suddenly drinking the Apple Kool-Aid.

My only hope is that gnome panel is fully ported to GTK3 and developed further -- I've read some distros are starting to use gnome panel "classic" as the default DE -- GOOD, Gnome Shell and this tablet nonsense is a road to nowhere. I don't know why suddenly every "me too" company is trying to get a slice of the iOS (and to a somewhat less extend, Android) pie.
                    Last edited by MichaelSerious; 28 July 2012, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                      haha nice joke, if there would be only 0,1-0,2% desktop users, than I would not get week after week 10 linux magazines on my kiosk... we both have not accurate numbers, and how do you cound dualboots? so I say another number what I think would be more realistic something about 2-5%. And do you only count private desktops or also desktops on workplaces? but I think my numbers are way more accurate than your numbers...

and thats only the numbers here in germany and maybe in america and other western countries, in other countries with more users the linux-quote should be higher.
                      and if you count android its on the way to the market leader... so it depends strongly how you count... and yes android tablets/notebooks I would count also as desktop. and if you dont call it desktop... (desktop replacement) then you have to realise that more cell phones and more laptops gets selled than classic "desktops"
                      From what I always read, Linux is much more used in Europe.

6.26% of users visiting Wikipedia use Linux...

Comment

Working...
                      X