Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Mutter Wayland 3.9.91 Released

Phoronix: GNOME's Mutter Wayland 3.9.91 Released

The GNOME desktop's Mutter Wayland version has been released ahead of the official GNOME 3.10 release later in September...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is great news!

Comment

I've packaged this for Mageia Cauldron. I think it still requires changes in other packages, especially gnome-shell. Due to Mageia working on the alpha 2 release I have to wait a bit before continuing. Further, have to check if this would make it use Wayland by default or not (hope not, seems a bit early). For 3.10 it will really be a tech preview (feature regressions + performance not what it should be) so cannot have this as a default.

Comment

This is great. Nice work Gnome devs.

Ultimately though, I have to use Catalyst drivers on my machine (for Blender mostly), and I'm a happy KDE user (switch from GS 3.8 due to performance issues), so I wont be using Wayland in practice for at least another 6+ months. It's great to see things blooming with Wayland though, and I'm excited to eventually switch to it.

Comment

btw MPV the mplayer's mplayer's2 fork work on wayland already, in gentoo at least.

so if you use gentoo and wanna enjoy silky smooth awesomeness, here is a quick guide

1.) emerge wayland/weston <-- ovbiously
          2.) USE="-X -vdpau-xscreensaver -xv" emerge mpv <-- other flags is up to you
          3.) wait for awesomeness to compile
          4.) systemctl stop k/g/xdm.service <-- if you don't use systemd use openrc method, grandpa
          5.) log in and type weston-launch
          6.) open an console from top-left icon
          7.) mpv -vo opengl-hq your-video-file.XXX <-- add other normal mplayer options if you wish
          8.) get popcorn and enjoy a goddam m*****f****ing silky smooth perfectly fluid regardless of the CPU load awesome smooth video

Comment

btw MPV the mplayer's mplayer's2 fork work on wayland already, in gentoo at least.

so if you use gentoo and wanna enjoy silky smooth awesomeness, here is a quick guide

1.) emerge wayland/weston <-- ovbiously
            2.) USE="-X -vdpau-xscreensaver -xv" emerge mpv <-- other flags is up to you
            3.) wait for awesomeness to compile
            4.) systemctl stop k/g/xdm.service <-- if you don't use systemd use openrc method, grandpa
            5.) log in and type weston-launch
            6.) open an console from top-left icon
            7.) mpv -vo opengl-hq your-video-file.XXX <-- add other normal mplayer options if you wish
            8.) get popcorn and enjoy a goddam m*****f****ing silky smooth perfectly fluid regardless of the CPU load awesome smooth video

Comment

is this the first wayland ready release of mutter?

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                is this the first wayland ready release of mutter?
                There was a Mutter version which worked against Wayland 0.8 or something. That version was only available on a branch in Git. This version is the first version to be released as a tarball and it is way better than that version. A lot of work went into trying to ensure you can really use it for your applications. It is still not perfect (and not expected to be), which is why the target is GNOME 3.12 for full support.

Being released as a tarball is a big thing. This allows distributions to package it, so the amount of people being able to try it out hugely increases.

Comment

Working...
                X