No announcement yet.

An Ubuntu Phone/Mobile Announcement Is Coming Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after the ubuntu edge fiasco I doubt anyone still takes them seriously...

Comment

If they can pull off a phone that can also be used as a desktop it might become the first smart phone I ever bought.

In general I would prefer to have both a desktop for real work and a tiny 5 gram phone that doesn't do anything else than phone calls.
      Since that still doesn't exist, this might be a good alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
        Ultimately it would be the announcement of a 64bit Tegra K1 based phone, but could we expect Canoncial to pull something like that off?
        It wouldn't surprise me if they announced some hardware that was, as you suggest, crippled by nvidia crap.

Comment

Originally posted by corebob View Post
          If they can pull off a phone that can also be used as a desktop it might become the first smart phone I ever bought.

In general I would prefer to have both a desktop for real work and a tiny 5 gram phone that doesn't do anything else than phone calls.
          Since that still doesn't exist, this might be a good alternative.
          i'm waiting the same. except, i think tizen will be the way to go for various reasons. it runs standard linux components and it is backed by companies which actually want to have community

Comment

I agree with the Tegra K1 hunch. It is likely, and Nvidia would give the chips half-free at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
              i'm waiting the same. except, i think tizen will be the way to go for various reasons. it runs standard linux components and it is backed by companies which actually want to have community
              SailfishOS also uses standard Linux components and has a lively community which I'm part of. It's also getting attention from companies now that the first phone is on the market with at least 1 active promoting provider on board and more to come and the second phone is already being designed.

Comment

Probably a Meizu Ubuntu Phone announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  It wouldn't surprise me if they announced some hardware that was, as you suggest, crippled by nvidia crap.
                  Man wake up. The Nvidia K1 Tegra SoC is the best chip coming to the market.

It would surprise me if they could get the K1 so early as the 64bit version is scheduled for second half of 2014. The 32bit version should be available any month now if you go by the chip's announcement at CES.

If they brought out a Nvidia K1 64bit phone with DirectStylus and nice resolution screen, I would be putting my money down really quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    SailfishOS also uses standard Linux components and has a lively community which I'm part of. It's also getting attention from companies now that the first phone is on the market with at least 1 active promoting provider on board and more to come and the second phone is already being designed.
                    I've just been looking at Sailfish. It seems like the best Linux Phone OS. Currently I don't even have a proper smart phone, just using my old Nokia N8 for calls and camera. I'm a Scala man, so it would need a JVM for me to really get enthused about it as a platform. I believe Android 4.4 has finally got Java 7.

Comment

Working...
                    X