Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Open-Source AMD OverDrive Utility For Linux

Phoronix: A New Open-Source AMD OverDrive Utility For Linux

AMD has allowed their Radeon GPUs to be overclocked on Linux since 2008 when using their Catalyst driver with OverDrive support. Previous to that there was Rovclock for overclocking select ATI Radeon ASICs using an open-source program along with support for tuning the video memory timings and other options, which was a program written via reverse engineering. The Catalyst Linux driver supports OverDrive manipulation of the core and memory clocks, which is enough for most enthusiasts, but if you've been looking for more extensive features there is a new option...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just hope that some day there will be, a program for adjusting all GPUs with FOSS drivers. Much like the way Network Manager works, regardless the model of your LAN,WLAN,etc. The app will integrate tightly with the DE, and will provide consistent Look and Feel across all GPUs(AMD,intel,nv). The FOSS drivers will need only export nescesarry API. Once I wanted to make such a beast, practicing my Qt skills. Maybe some day...

Comment

Hmmm, I would be tempted to merge nvclock and this together and perhaps add it on as a KDE or Gnome setup applet. Now all we need is utilities like this to tweak the processor side as well.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Hmmm, I would be tempted to merge nvclock and this together and perhaps add it on as a KDE or Gnome setup applet. Now all we need is utilities like this to tweak the processor side as well.
        Isn't there applet for GNOME panel for CPU freq already. You maybe meant MB resources...voltages, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
          Isn't there applet for GNOME panel for CPU freq already. You maybe meant MB resources...voltages, etc.
          More or less, voltages, timings, clocks, etc much like AMD Overdrive.

Comment

Isn't that highly motherboard/brand specific? I don't know of any generic tool even on Windows that does voltages and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Decatf View Post
              Isn't that highly motherboard/brand specific? I don't know of any generic tool even on Windows that does voltages and stuff.
              Not necessarily, a lot of those functions can be done through current solutions like AMD overdrive and nvidia's control panel.

Comment

Started developing a similiar software myself (however it stayed command line only), but something to consider is this from the EULA:

Code:
                ADL SDK
                Libraries and header files (may be built into your software and distributed [B]only as object code[/B]):
                * Example application source code
                * API header files
                This stopped me from releasing my software as open-source, or am I misunderstanding something?

Comment

Nevermind, he doesn't actually include the files.
                  Great software.

Comment

Working...
                  X