No announcement yet.

Btrfs Merged Into Mainline Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

btrfs is still in heavy development, don't expect it to go stable till at least 2.6.34

Comment

Originally posted by some-guy View Post
      btrfs is still in heavy development, don't expect it to go stable till at least 2.6.34
      I would wager on a lot sooner then that.

Comment

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
        That's something I've been wondering myself.
        "Anyway, give it a good testing. And please do keep in mind that while new
        filesystems can be intruiging and exciting, "new" also means "not widely
        tested". I'm sure the btrfs people will appreciate people testing, but I
        would suggest that you go very very carefully (squashfs is read-only, so
        it's presumably less likely to eat your data, but who knows - the
        perversity of the universe is endless)." - Linus LKML

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          I would wager on a lot sooner then that.
          Well, 2.6.34 is in a little more than a year since there are about 4 kernel releases a year

Comment

Originally posted by some-guy View Post
            Well, 2.6.34 is in a little more than a year since there are about 4 kernel releases a year
            I'm thinking more like in 6 months. It's a new filesystem, it doesn't have to go through all the worries such as backwards compatibility that a file system such as ext4 has to go through. I have it will hit 1.0 status fairly soon. 2.6.31 or 2.6.32.

Comment

someone who knows these things better said 1 year

and he said also:
              Originally posted by Corbet
              Btrfs is intended to be the next-generation filesystem which, conceivably, could last us for the next 10-20 years. The filesystem found in 2.6.29 is not, yet, that filesystem, though; Btrfs remains under heavy development.
              so... this should be taken as most probable.

Comment

Originally posted by Vighy View Post
                someone who knows these things better said 1 year

and he said also:

so... this should be taken as most probable.
                Well I recall somewhere in the lkml where Chris was initially aiming for a December 1.0 status but later decided that would be a bit to ambitious as it got closer to Dec. the wiki is still saying 4th Q / 2008. Now with inclusion with the kernel he also expects development to further accelerate.

Comment

Working...
                X