Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
    Dear Michael,

Please, grow up. Your article is so childish and pathetic. It just can't be taken seriously. Really.

"I think Windows 8 is mostly a crap wreck", "they got in bed with Microsoft", "I usually don't find myself at this Microsoft Lounge, since they don't have the openSUSE beer"

I mean, what? Is this really the best you have to offer? Then you're doing it wrong. And it's not funny. It's just embarrassing.

I completely agree. How can you possibly expect to retain any respect or gain readers by abusing your sponsors (you can't deny you're willing to take Microsoft's payments to help you get to these conferences) and writing such drivel. You're turning me off.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      I understand it's your opinion, but Phoronix is not some kind of blog, it's a prominent Linux news resource. Most likely Linux in the next 20 years will not reach a market share Windows 8 will being to occupy in 12 months
      You've got to be kidding. This crap is worse than vista. Linux with games and specialized software will kill it very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by bigtoedsloth View Post
        I completely agree. How can you possibly expect to retain any respect or gain readers by abusing your sponsors (you can't deny you're willing to take Microsoft's payments to help you get to these conferences) and writing such drivel. You're turning me off.
        Well, personally I think Michael has his right to free speech. Clearly he's not "professionally unopinionated", but most of the tech news sites aren't anyway. It makes for interesting reading, doesn't it?

As for Microsoft, they will... continue to be Microsoft. And while they continue to use licences like this, I'll continue to be wary of even their free offerings:
        3. That Microsoft is granted back, without any restrictions or limitations, a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, assignable and sub-licensable license, to reproduce, publicly perform or display, install, use, modify, post, distribute, make and have made, sell and transfer your modifications to and/or derivative works of the Software source code or data, for any purpose.

Comment

Meltemi for the midrange

Nokia's involvement should not be a surprise, especially not to phoronix.

They have been working on meltemi as a replacement for symbian in the mid range ever since the switch to wp7 from meego at the high end.

Huzzah! The Nokia N9 has finally arrived in a genuinely consumer-oriented package. Granted, it is not step-five-of-five given the February 11th announcement to abandon Meego as Nokia’s smartp…

Diablo, fremantle, (meego) harmattan, and meltemi all being "wind" based internal codenames for Nokia Linux platforms.

Nokia selling off the commercial arm of qt should be no surprise either, it was only a core business activity when it paid for development in an independent trolltech, and Nokia immediately lgpl'ed qt on buying trolltech and what do they care about managing a few million in commercial licenses?
          Last edited by Jedibeeftrix; 26 May 2012, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigtoedsloth View Post
            I disagree, it's the complete opposite. Being a whore to however pays you results in sites like Anandtech, with clear bias in every piece.

Being able to criticize even your sponsors is the mark of objective writing.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
              No they won't. People that need to work on c++ desktop apps will just buy VC11. MinGW can't link to system libs, so you are stuck supporting all of your dependencies.
              I thought linking against Windows libs is exactly the whole point of existence for MinGW... (It actually depends on several Windows system libraries.)

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
                I thought linking against Windows libs is exactly the whole point of existence for MinGW...
                The point of MinGW is to give cheapskates UNIX tools. The fact that most people would rather use Cygwin, SFU, or any of a host of other commercial utilities doesn't speak too highly of MinGW's success in that department.

(It actually depends on several Windows system libraries.)
                No, it doesn't. It depends on it's own bastardized lib versions, not Windows system libs because you can't link gpl3 code to incompatibly licensed libraries without violating copyright.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                  No, it doesn't. It depends on it's own bastardized lib versions, not Windows system libs because you can't link gpl3 code to incompatibly licensed libraries without violating copyright.
                  MinGW makes native binaries, it depends on Windows libs.

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                    MinGW depends on Windows libs.
                    No, it doesn't. If it did it would require the Windows SDK to be installed to compile anything, which it does not. It depends on it's own libs, provides it's own headers, and cannot link against Windows System Libs.

Try it yourself, link hello world with msvcrt.lib instead of libmsvcrt.a

Comment

I wonder what they're up to...

Comment

Working...
                      X