The Wayland/Weston Fork Is Now "Banned"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soreau View Post
    For the record, I asked Mike to release the site later in the afternoon but I guess he didn't feel that it was important I wanted to do this on my birthday, which I do not otherwise celebrate.

The Northfield Project or TNP for short, is hereby instantiated yesterday and is still under development but the preliminary site has been established.

northfield.ws

Taken from the Intro:

"The Northfield Project is an umbrella under which a community grows and thrives freely. This project is a side effect of a closely related incident involving the recent Northfield/Wayland split. This project currently houses open source code including code to use a compositing display server and related components on the Linux Desktop platform."

It seems apparent that neither Kristian nor Michael appreciated my works or ideas very much after all.

Screw it. I can't help myself. I've read all these stupid "articles" and held myself back from commenting because I knew my sarcastic asshole side would take over, but it's whatever.

With that 10 cent head of yours and your 99 cent domain name, I can't help but see great things ahead for this one man show of a fork. You'll go far, bro. Thanks, at the very least, for clearing up any confusion as to why the Wayland devs don't want anything more to do with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
      Soreau, the only way you're going to be taken seriously again, is by avoiding any more of this drama crap and actually working hard to make Northfield and Norwood as good as you possibly can. If you can demonstrate that you really know what you are doing and make something great then your project will grow and the wayland devs won't be able to ignore you.
      I dont agree to that, 1. its no good motivation to work on something because you have to reach a goal with it... such pressure and stress leads into a depression or another word for it or subcategory of it, burnout.

2nd you say they ignore him, thats not true, one of em even offered him that they will let him back to the irc channel if he agrees to change his behaviour in the future. and he did not so its his free choice.

And they will maybe pull his changes from a public repo but I guess if he doenst change his attitude they will try to minimize the communication even if he made some good stuff...

But ok maybe I am wrong thats just what I would do...

But who knows linus is also a difficult person, and somehow it works there too, so maybe I am wrong and maybe he is a real genious with nearly 0 social skills, so go on proove me wrong

Comment

I think this matter, from its genesis to present, could have been handled better just about all the way around, not to mention without creating as many unnecessary waves and distractions. I am much more sympathetic to the position of the Wayland developers, but I am not completely unsympathetic to Scott Moreau for going off the reservation. All in all, I think it is best that this matter has been put to bed here, even if getting to that point has been somewhat of a meandering ride.

I can't say that I'm really satisfied with how open source gets covered (whether in fluff pieces by the likes of Steven Vaughan-Nichols, Katherine Noyes, et alii; or on fever-laden sites like Phoronix, Slashdot, etc). That isn't to say I think the aforementioned are worthless, just that they could be much better.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex
          Phoronix is like lifetime television for the tech oriented.
          I think techrights.org (formerly boycottnovell.com) better fits that template.
          Last edited by eidolon; 02 April 2013, 09:15 PM. Reason: HAD TO MOVE 'ZIG'.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
            Soreau, the only way you're going to be taken seriously again, is by avoiding any more of this drama crap and actually working hard to make Northfield and Norwood as good as you possibly can. If you can demonstrate that you really know what you are doing and make something great then your project will grow and the wayland devs won't be able to ignore you.
            Thanks Kamikaze, I think I will do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Siekacz View Post
              Michael, you didn't need to publish this and the previous articles. That just made everyone pissed off. I would leave it alone without any coverage of the private side on the Phoronix, I would just ignore kickback offers and other messages. Scott just got crazy after being kicked off from the Wayland project and I bet your publication of his emails made him go even crazier...
              Originally posted by MartinN View Post
              Maybe we should cut Scott some slack.... he might be clinically depressed. Last thing we want is something bad to happen as a result of these back and forths. Reacting only fuels the fire - so it'd be best if you didn't cover it nor respond to anyone, Scott or not, on the subject of this fork.
              I agree.

Although it may seem somewhat comical, all this drama may have best been taken care of behind the scenes. Nevertheless, I understand that many geek people don't have such subtle social skills.

I hope I wrote that sentence right, english is not my mother-tongue

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                Maybe we should cut Scott some slack.... he might be clinically depressed. Last thing we want is something bad to happen as a result of these back and forths. Reacting only fuels the fire - so it'd be best if you didn't cover it nor respond to anyone, Scott or not, on the subject of this fork.
                Yes, you are actually spot on here MartinN. You see, I've been depressed for a long time living in apartments. Apartment life sucks. It is depressing and in-real-life frustrations often come out through IRC. IRC has helped me develop social skills I might otherwise have not developed. IRC has allowed me a way to cope by finding small rewards in doing support for compiz and wayland, helping people out and doing what I do best. I hope that people understand that IRC is a big part of my life and I do not take it lightly. I have done a lot of hand holding over the years. Many users just need help fast.

I needed help to develop a website fast and I was able to do it, without knowing much, because a volunteer just wanted to help out and he was bored at his .uk IT job. Here is a rather interesting piece of personal history I would now like to share with everyone.

Thank You,

Scott Moreau
                Last edited by soreau; 02 April 2013, 09:55 PM.

Comment

First Google Hit

Originally posted by hubick View Post
                  At least now a Google search for "Scott Moreau" will yield some more "juicy tidbits" for potential employers. The internet is forever.
                  Why not try the more distinguishing 'soreau' name?

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                    2nd you say they ignore him, thats not true, one of em even offered him that they will let him back to the irc channel if he agrees to change his behaviour in the future. and he did not so its his free choice.
                    This is a false statement. The only ones with ops in #wayland are:

>chanserv< access #wayland list
                    -ChanServ- ntry Nickname/Host Flags
                    -ChanServ- ---- ---------------------- -----
                    -ChanServ- *!*@freenode/staff/* +Aiotv [modified 3 years, 25 weeks, 6 days, 07:34:56 ago]
                    -ChanServ- krh +AFRfiorstv [modified 51 weeks, 0 days, 03:24:06 ago]
                    -ChanServ- airlied +Aov [modified 2 years, 20 weeks, 0 days, 04:46:22 ago]
                    -ChanServ- agd5f +Aov [modified 2 years, 20 weeks, 0 days, 04:46:19 ago]
                    -ChanServ- ajax +Aov [modified 2 years, 20 weeks, 0 days, 04:46:15 ago]
                    -ChanServ- nd of #wayland FLAGS listing.

(sorry for cut off letters, xchat bug)

And not one of them has made such an offer to me.
                    Last edited by soreau; 02 April 2013, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by soreau View Post
                      This is a false statement. The only ones with ops in #wayland are:

>chanserv< access #wayland list
                      -ChanServ- ntry Nickname/Host Flags
                      -ChanServ- *!*@freenode/staff/* +Aiotv [modified 3 years, 25 weeks, 6 days, 07:34:56 ago]
                      -ChanServ- krh +AFRfiorstv [modified 51 weeks, 0 days, 03:24:06 ago]
                      -ChanServ- airlied +Aov [modified 2 years, 20 weeks, 0 days, 04:46:22 ago]
                      -ChanServ- agd5f +Aov [modified 2 years, 20 weeks, 0 days, 04:46:19 ago]
                      -ChanServ- ajax +Aov [modified 2 years, 20 weeks, 0 days, 04:46:15 ago]
                      -ChanServ- nd of #wayland FLAGS listing.

(sorry for cut off letters, xchat bug)

And not one of them has made such an offer to me.
                      Update: I just now changed my IRC nick and restarted my xchat client. I was surprised to find that I am not banned from #wayland under my new nick. I noticed this because my client is set to automatically join this channel. I observed the banlist with the folling command and output:

/mode #wayland +b
                      * #wayland Banlist: Wed Mar 27 10:32:33 *!*@ool-182e02bb.dyn.optonline.net morgan.freenode.net
                      * #wayland Banlist: Wed Mar 27 10:32:33 *!*cartino@*.100.196.88.dyn.estpak.ee morgan.freenode.net
                      * #wayland Banlist: Wed Mar 27 10:32:33 *!*58c4649f@*.88.196.100.159 morgan.freenode.net
                      * #wayland Banlist: Wed Mar 27 10:32:33 *!*@*lap.ee morgan.freenode.net
                      * #wayland Banlist: Wed Mar 27 10:32:33 *!6379cacc@gateway/web/freenode/ip.99.121.202.204 morgan.freenode.net
                      * #wayland Banlist: Wed Mar 27 10:32:33 *!*58c4649f@*.vistech.net morgan.freenode.net
                      * #wayland Banlist: Wed Mar 27 10:32:33 *!*soreau@unaffiliated/soreau morgan.freenode.net
                      * #wayland :End of Channel Ban List

This means I must leave the channel, since the ban is till in place. I have now removed it from my IRC client's auto-connect list until the ban is lifted.
                      Last edited by soreau; 02 April 2013, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X