Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine Engine Splits Into Game And Sim Products

Phoronix: Unigine Engine Splits Into Game And Sim Products

Unigine Corp has shared that their flagship advanced 3D engine, which originally was targeted for games but is now seeing greater use within simulators and professional 3D visualization areas, is forking into Unigine Sim and Unigine Game...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This was in the pipeline for awhile. I remember when I was talking with them, they mentioned splitting the two apart. The move allows them to improve both for their users. Each one can now focus on improving areas that need it without worrying how it affects the other users. It makes the engine more agile. Instead of massive blob that does it all they can give you something for your needs. I think in the long run this will greatly help them out, especially with pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by migizi View Post
      I think in the long run this will greatly help them out, ...
      Especially when they drop the game version, since apparently no one is interested in it.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
        Especially when they drop the game version, since apparently no one is interested in it.
        You have a citation for that remark? If you actually read the article, and clicked on to their announcement, they say about 15%-20% of their clients use it for games. If they are bringing in money for that purpose then someone is using it.

Comment

Originally posted by migizi View Post
          You have a citation for that remark? If you actually read the article, and clicked on to their announcement, they say about 15%-20% of their clients use it for games. If they are bringing in money for that purpose then someone is using it.
          I looked at their list of games on their website. Well, there are some studios that are either using it or have used it in the past, but how many actual games based on Unigine are released right now? Let's see:

They have 12 announced games, from which 1 of those was done in-house (Oil Rush) so doesn't count. That leaves us 11 games. From those 6 are in-development, and who knows how long it will take until a release, if it happens at all (At least Cradle was supposed to be released in 2012 and it's still not out yet), so those do not count as well. That leaves us 5 games. From those I can't find anything about Petshop, so it's gone probably. Only 4 remain. Tryst seems to still be available, but I don't know how much activity it gets considering the latest blog post is from 1 year ago, and the forums link isn't working. The same can be said about Syndicates of Arkon, except the Forums do work in that case, although the last update was 2 years ago. MMT is supposed to have been released in playable demo form 3 years ago, but I can't find anything about it since then. Demolicious seems to have been released but is not available anymore. The link to its website is also dead.

So, yeah, the situation isn't looking too good in terms of games for Unigine I would say.

Comment

No what you said was

Originally posted by devius View Post
            You said nothing about the number of games being released. Interest in a tool is based on the customers that are paying for it. They went on to say that 15%-20% of their clients are buying Unigine for game development. That means there is interest in it.

If you want to follow the logic that something only has interest based on the shear number of people releasing something on it. Well then I guess that the in-house game engine that's developed for a single game should be thrown away. Even if that game makes millions. All because only one game was released with that engine.

Comment

Working...
            X