Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 2.6.31-rc5 Kernel Brings Fixes

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.31-rc5 Kernel Brings Fixes

Ready to test out a new kernel? Well, hopefully, as Linus Torvalds has just announced the Linux 2.6.31-rc5 kernel in time for the weekend. The Linux 2.6.31-rc5 kernel will reportedly fix a number of regressions that were present in Linux 2.6.31-rc4 and earlier and there are some other updates too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OH YEAH ! Radeon KMS stable ?

Oh My God!!!!! Makes me wanna swear!

I'm playing with the new radeon KMS on my xpress 200M. It works really nicely !

I'm able to play 720p video perfectly on my laptop screen (1280*800), 1080p video could be better (some tearing sometimes).
    HQ flash videos work like a charm, even in full screen !

The rendering quality is now the same as it used to be with DRI1. I mean, there used to be some kind of small tearing, it is now gone!

I also tried tremulous, it works well in 1024*768, fullscreen and everything set to low (35 fps).

When it comes to gtkperf, it gives me 19s without compiz and 35 with.
    With compiz, moving windows is fast but resizing and scroll is slow.
    Without compiz, resizing and scrolling is faster but not really smooth.

I'm waiting for some feedbacks, but it seems like r300 KMS is becoming stable and usable. Well done AMD and everyone involved !
    Last edited by MuPuF; 01 August 2009, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Never before have kernel releases been so interesting to get

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
        Never before have kernel releases been so interesting to get
        Sure, that's the first one I compiled from git before rc1

Comment

And I thought kernel compiling was something Gentoo and Slackware user did

And who knows, qw might even see a few Ubuntu users start compiling kernels

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
            And I thought kernel compiling was something Gentoo and Slackware user did

And who knows, qw might even see a few Ubuntu users start compiling kernels
            no, they will wait for a PPA

Comment

But you also need Mesa 7.6 for R1xx-R5xx KMS/DRI2/GEM don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                But you also need Mesa 7.6 for R1xx-R5xx KMS/DRI2/GEM don't you?
                Sure, you need to recompile the kernel, libdrm (don't forget the switch --enable-radeon-experimental-api), xf86-video-ati and mesa.

You need git versions for everything but the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
                  no, they will wait for a PPA
                  Nope, I am a (K)ubuntu user, and I compile my own kernel from the zen-source with a custom config.

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
                    Nope, I am a (K)ubuntu user, and I compile my own kernel from the zen-source with a custom config.
                    Nice, you should consider creating a PPA so
                    I used to compile zen kernels too.

Comment

Working...
                    X