Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD, Hurry up with that 11.4 driver!

Hi,

It's that time again that my htpc is in hell. I had to upgrade XBMC to git versions in order to get XvBA working correctly. During that i also had to update Xorg to 1.10 and ATI 11.3 isn't working with that.. it simply gives me segmentation faults.

Now there is a 11.4 test driver for archlinux but that is also giving segmentation faults unless i update the kernel to a dev build of 2.6.39 which i'm not gonna do.

So i have to wait again for AMD to release the 11.4 driver.. AMD, please HURRY up with it! I can't watch any movies on my htpc without xvba (that needs an working AMD driver!).

Just my 5 cents..

Regards,
    Mark

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    this isn't the archlinux test driver its the ubuntu 11.04 test driver.

and this is not the 11-4 catalyst its the 11-5 catalyst.

people from the beta program report to me that amd just chance the "name". there is no different from the 11-5 catalyst and 11-04 ubuntu test driver.
    Archlinux or Ubuntu.. it's all linux!
    I don't really care as long as the next driver (11.4!) is having xorg-server 1.10 support.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
      Hi,

It's that time again that my htpc is in hell. I had to upgrade XBMC to git versions in order to get XvBA working correctly. During that i also had to update Xorg to 1.10 and ATI 11.3 isn't working with that.. it simply gives me segmentation faults.

Now there is a 11.4 test driver for archlinux but that is also giving segmentation faults unless i update the kernel to a dev build of 2.6.39 which i'm not gonna do.

So i have to wait again for AMD to release the 11.4 driver.. AMD, please HURRY up with it! I can't watch any movies on my htpc without xvba (that needs an working AMD driver!).

Just my 5 cents..

Regards,
      Mark
      Have you ever heard about the [nightly] repo? If your problem is compiling a new kernel (I don't know if it is), this repo already has a 2.6.39 mailine kernel ready to install, which you can use in parallel with your current kernel version.

About the catalyst-test PKGBUILD from Arch's AUR:
      depends=('xorg-server>=1.9.0' 'xorg-server<1.11.0' 'kernel26>=2.6.29' 'kernel26<2.6.40' 'kernel26-headers' 'netkit-bsd-finger' 'libxrandr' 'libsm'
      So, something is broken with your catalyst-test/kernel (are dmesg and Xorg.0.log giving errors?)...

About Catalyst 11.4, it seems it won't have Xorg 1.10 support...
      But Catalyst 11.5 will... (but I only will test it on my HD4650)

Cheers

p.s.: BTW, I'm using catalyst-test + Xorg 1.10 + 2.6.38.4-ck in my desktop with a HD4650AGP without any major problems...

Comment

Hi,

Just fyi. I'm not going to install or compile vanilla pre final kernel builds. That's a little to much on bleeding edge for my taste.

Anyway, i got the catalyst driver to work.. The mistake i made was kinda silly.. i forgot to build the kernel module -_- or forgot.. somehow that seems to be required now while it wasn't before. That problem aside i still can't play video with xvba since i'm getting this "error" mplayer-vaapi and that is with the -v option!
        VDec: using H.264 VA-API Acceleration as output csp (no 0)
        Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
        VO Config (1280x720->1280x720,flags=0,'MPlayer',0x56410030)
        VO: [vaapi] 1280x720 => 1280x720 H.264 VA-API Acceleration
        VO: Description: VA API with X11
        VO: Author: Gwenole Beauchesne <[email protected]>
        [VD_FFMPEG] XVMC-accelerated MPEG-2.
        *** [vo] Direct Rendering mp_image_t, 1280x722x0bpp RGB packed, 0 bytes
        [h264 @ 0xe415e0]no picture

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: decode video
        - MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
        Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
        disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
        - MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
        It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
        gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
        DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
        won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.
        So i'm kinda stuck at getting the video stuff to use vaapi. running vainfo works just fine:
        libva: libva version 0.32.0
        libva: User requested driver 'xvba'
        libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri//xvba_drv_video.so
        libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
        vainfo: VA API version: 0.32
        vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.8
        vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
        VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
        VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD
        Next step.. downgrading mplayer-vaapi to see if that solves anything..?

Comment

THAT WAS IT downgrading the mplayer-vaapi package to an older revision did the trick! I downloaded this one: http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/dis...686.pkg.tar.xz and that did the trick. Now VA-API works again ^_^

All i have to do now is EXCLUDE the mplayer-vaapi package from upgrading... saves me days figuring things out next time.

Comment

You can not play h264 l5.1.

Comment

Qaridarium
              really??? i try the same in the past... without luck...
              @Qaridarium: I really don't know what's your problem... maybe it's related to Ubuntu's main kernel configs...? (As they backport some of their own code into the kernel, maybe their kernels mess up with your system...?). But I really don't know what's your problem, I'm Ubuntu-free since 2007...

Hi,

Just fyi. I'm not going to install or compile vanilla pre final kernel builds. That's a little to much on bleeding edge for my taste.

Anyway, i got the catalyst driver to work.. The mistake i made was kinda silly.. i forgot to build the kernel module -_- or forgot.. somehow that seems to be required now while it wasn't before. That problem aside i still can't play video with xvba since i'm getting this "error" mplayer-vaapi and that is with the -v option!
              Yep, with catalyst-test you need to build the fglrx kernel module after installing the package (on Archlinux: 'sudo catalyst_build_module', without the quotes. As an extra info, now you don't need to build the module again until 2.6.39 appears ). All in all, catalyst-test is catalyst-utils + catalyst-generator packages merged into a single one.

I understand why some people don't like to install kernel.git/mainline packages... and I don't use them very much either (I can't use BFS, so, it makes my computer behave like it is older than it's in reality); I only use them to do some tests to see if there are any improvements over previous versions (which doesn't seem to be the trend since 2.6.36...).

THAT WAS IT downgrading the mplayer-vaapi package to an older revision did the trick! I downloaded this one: http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/dis...686.pkg.tar.xz and that did the trick. Now VA-API works again ^_^

All i have to do now is EXCLUDE the mplayer-vaapi package from upgrading... saves me days figuring things out next time.
              I'm glad you managed to solve your problems...

Cheers

p.s.: For kano: Btw, how many blueray movies / HDrips are encoded with [email protected]?
              nVidia is also bad when we talk about denoising features (you can check it in most HQV2.0 reviews on the internet )

Comment

maybe it is not an linux problem i wrote this in another threat:
                i do some bugfixing brute/force bios jobs... about the AGP stuff
                i also install win7/sp1 to touble check the agp stuff
                win7 does a bluescreen after installing the 11.3 agp/hotfix/catalzst with AGP8x with all options enabled with AGP4x windows starts but the driver does not work onlz standart VGA mode run.s...(edit the bluescreen is there to after installing the driver again)
                i think the linux catalzst does not work for the same problem like the windows catalzst...
                quit writing catalzst! just name it catalyst like we all do. It's annoying to read the way you write it.

Comment

quit writing catalzst! just name it catalyst like we all do. It's annoying to read the way you write it.
                  If you're still reading this person's posts at all, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Maybe in general you are right?

But that example is just a wrong keyboard layout US-layout on an German keyboard...

But yes maybe Nazis rule the world and they put everyone how does an mistake in an Nazi concentration camp to kill them all...

Come one be an Nazi hero clean the world from that Dyslexia.
                    Your English is a pain, dude. Simply awful. The rest of your post is just ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                    X