No announcement yet.

New AMD Catalyst Beta Supports Linux 3.8, TF2 Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely it is better, devs post that they track issues when they are reported. With the unofficial bugtracker you know absolutely NOTHING.

Comment

I clicked on a bunch of threads and didn't see any NVidia responses (although in fairness I started at the top which probably isn't the best place to look for interaction in a date-sorted list). I suspect it's the same situation as the unofficial bugtracker -- you can find examples of whatever it is you want to prove.

I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage of posts with dev responses is higher on the NVidia proprietary-only site than on the AMD proprietary-only site, more in line with what you would get if you combine open source and Catalyst interactions from AMD.
      Last edited by bridgman; 15 April 2013, 01:22 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

You see the nvidia logo when nvidia devs reply. Maybe you need to clean your glasses. Also you see official driver annoucements in sticky threads. Ok, sometimes you see new drivers announced in https://twitter.com/CatalystCreator - but sometimes the Linux driver is announced several days later even when it is on the server - the dl url is not really hard to guess usually.
        Last edited by Kano; 15 April 2013, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          You see the nvidia logo when nvidia devs reply. Maybe you need to clean your glasses.
          Seems unlikely that dirty glasses would obscure the NVidia responses but not posts from users, although I guess anything is possible.

Agree that combining release info with questions/bugs would be useful.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Seems unlikely that dirty glasses would obscure the NVidia responses but not posts from users, although I guess anything is possible.

Agree that combining release info with questions/bugs would be useful.
            I would have to agree with bridgman. Looking at the nvidia forum, I only found one single developer on the first two pages and he only had 147 posts in total. Considering the fair amount of (catalyst) communications we get through bridgman and all his post, I would say that AMD exceeds nvidia by far. The bugzilla is still lousy though from a customers point of view and in all fairness, so is catalyst. Catalyst is getting better but I am not sure if it is due to bugs getting fixed or if the hardware are replaced and thus the old bugs gets replaced by new ones.

Comment

There is an official AMD forum for reporting bugs for steam on linux:http://devgurus.amd.com/community/steam-linux
              The issue is that we had no developper posts other the lasts months (and it seems that today and yesterday a bot has filled the forum).

Comment

What the?

What's up with this post? The AMD page shows the beta 3 drivers from 3/22. I already installed those, and these are apparently different, but they're beta 3s as well? Why not provide links to the 32/64-bit drivers, if they're different from the ones AMD officially links to? Super confusing.

Comment

You might have missed the "it's not a black and white thing" portion of the text you quoted. That said, I don't think I understand what you think the answer should have been... are you suggesting we should drop workstation support and focus only on the Valve opportunity ?
                  The only thing I would like to see, is that when amd brings a graphics card to the market, it doesn't take them over three years to make good Linux drivers.
                  I have an asus hd 5750.....

Playing a game like serious sam 3 on Linux, and comparing it to ss3, on windows with directX, almost makes me cry.

There is a grass flicker bug, and its been there for months.

I build my pc all amd to support amd, I am regretting this on Linux ever since.

When I first installed Linux and the catalyst driver, on this pc, I almost stopped using Linux, because I could not even use Firefox normally.
                  Now steam has come, and with the latest catalyst finally I do almost see no difference in firefox compared to windows.

How long is (was) the hd 5750 on the market ?

Cpu = amd phenom II X4 at 3.2 ghz., a vid card with 1 gig of memory and a web-browser lagged like hell, you got to be kidding me.
                  Over three years, and still the driver is not really good.

I reported a bug, Valve pointed us to an amd forum, its now been over a month, not even one reply.

Amd really should take a look at the steam forums, and see how damage they have done to them selves.
                  I doubt you can find a gamer on linux, who is even considering an amd vid card.

Now as a Linux fan, I do appreciate, that amd releases code, but I lost my patience.

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
                    The only thing I would like to see, is that when amd brings a graphics card to the market, it doesn't take them over three years to make good Linux drivers.
                    I have an asus hd 5750.....

When I first installed Linux and the catalyst driver, on this pc, I almost stopped using Linux, because I could not even use Firefox normally.
                    Now steam has come, and with the latest catalyst finally I do almost see no difference in firefox compared to windows.

How long is (was) the hd 5750 on the market ?
                    I think you're seeing "three years of general driver improvements where most of the improvements should benefit newer cards as well" rather than a general three year lag between HW intro and good drivers. Not sure but that is my impression from the nature of the changes.

I'm haven't been following the Catalyst / Steam forum & discussions but it does seem the forum got spammed pretty heavily over the weekend. I imagine the folks supporting the forums are digging through similar issues on other forums as well but have pinged them to make sure they are aware of the problems.
                    Test signature

Comment

I think you're seeing "three years of general driver improvements where most of the improvements should benefit newer cards as well" rather than a general three year lag between HW intro and good drivers. Not sure but that is my impression from the nature of the changes.

I'm haven't been following the Catalyst / Steam forum & discussions but it does seem the forum got spammed pretty heavily over the weekend. I imagine the folks supporting the forums are digging through similar issues on other forums as well but have pinged them to make sure they are aware of the problems.
                      Thank you, when I upgrade my vid card, I would prefer it to be an amd again.

We all know how much nvidia does to improve the open source drivers....
                      And although I do not use the open source drivers, for me as a Linux fan that does go a long way.

But currently judging from the steam forums, it would be an bad idea.

I am having fun with serious sam3, on Linux but I had to lower the resolution, on Linux.
                      ( just to make clear, I am not whining over a few fps. )

Comment

Working...
                      X