Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 Toxic Vapor-X

Phoronix: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 Toxic Vapor-X

The ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card arrived back in June with same-day Linux support through the Catalyst driver and there was even open-source mode-setting support. We have been very pleased with the level of Linux support for the Radeon HD 4000 series and it continues with features such as UVD2 and XvMC out on the horizon. With a few months having passed since the release of the Radeon HD 4870, we are starting to see more innovative RV770 products from ATI's partners. In August we looked at the Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 Toxic, which was a factory-overclocked Radeon HD 4850. Today we are looking at the Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 Toxic, which takes the original Radeon HD 4870 to the next level with heightened frequencies and an exclusive Vapor-X cooling solution.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Those charts make the 4850 Toxic look REALLY good.

Comment

What I would like to know is where are all these ATI cards that are supposed to be proudly displaying a tux logo?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        What I would like to know is where are all these ATI cards that are supposed to be proudly displaying a tux logo?
        Non-existent. That would be marketing for Linux, can't have that. =P

More on-topic though, the tests which have the stock card beating the Toxic is strange. Would be cool to here a technical reason behind that failing there, but maybe there is none available due to the secretive nature of graphics hardware perhaps =P

Somewhat off-topic question tho, I can't find any recent comparisons between Nvidia's high end and near-high-end cards, vs. AMD's. It would be neat to get a grasp on where these two companies are at right now in comparison to one another. I guess there's no point in including Intel since their IGPs aren't for high end gaming of course...I really wish there were more than two high-end gfx card makers though for some more competition. I miss Matrox...
        Last edited by Yfrwlf; 15 October 2008, 04:09 AM.

Comment

What about power consumption? Idle? Under load?

H/W manufacturers already started implementing the "2D Low" tricks in ATI BIOS (see here: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=67928). There is evidence that BIOS on 4870x2 already has the hack right from AMD (as well as admission that PowerPlay on Radeon 4xxx doesn't really work).

Question's here whether Sapphire did implement that too or not.

Comment

Working...
          X